A 105-year-old Texas woman recently revealed her secret to her longevity: bacon.
Pearl Cantrell from Richland Springs, Texas, recently celebrated her 105th birthday with more than 200 guests. The event lasted three days.
"I love bacon, I eat it every day," Pearl Cantrell told NBC affiliate KRBC. "I don't feel as old as I am, that's all I can say."
Cantrell became a widow at age 38 and worked as everything from a cotton picker to a hay baler while raising seven kids on her own. Although Cantrell retired decades ago, she kept mowing her own lawn until the age of 100, according to the West Texas Tribune. She also still dances — some of her favorite styles include country dancing, waltzing and two-stepping.
When Oscar Mayer found out about Cantrell's love of bacon, they sent one of their iconic Wienermobile to make a bacon delivery to Cantrell's home. Cantrell rode “shot-bun” in the Wienermobile through her hometown, as dozens of local residents watched.
"We've seen a lot of stories on the road, but nothing quite like this one, so we're excited to be here," an Oscar Meyer spokesman told Big Country Homepage. "We know she’s an inspiration. Pearl is an inspiration for the community, and her friends and family. So we had to make a special stop here for her today."
A study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine last March found that eating a serving of processed red meat every day increased the risk of participants dying prematurely by 13 percent. If a person ate an additional serving of processed red meat, the chance of dying during the 22 year study period jumped to 20 percent. However, a more recent study performed by the University of Zurich found the opposite: that eating little or no red meat can be a risk factor for early death.
Despite what research says, Cantrell plans to continue eating bacon and dancing.
"I love bacon, I could eat it for every meal — and I do!" Cantrell said.
- From 0.3 to 81.1: What percentage of each...
- Oil slicks found in hunt for Malaysia jet...
- Rutgers faculty council pushes for school to...
- 2 on missing Malaysia jet used stolen EU...
- Report: Ukraine base in Crimea under siege
- Half of millennials more likely to lean...
- Russian President Vladimir Putin declares...
- Survey: Cost a growing factor in college...
- No longer loyal to Boy Scouts of... 52
- Obama administration allows 2-year... 28
- Putin: Russia has right to use force in... 21
- Disney ending funding to Boy Scouts in... 21
- Half of millennials more likely to lean... 13
- Obama appeals to Democrats in 2015... 12
- Former IRS official Lois Lerner again... 11
- Ukrainian software professionals... 10