A 105-year-old Texas woman recently revealed her secret to her longevity: bacon.
Pearl Cantrell from Richland Springs, Texas, recently celebrated her 105th birthday with more than 200 guests. The event lasted three days.
"I love bacon, I eat it every day," Pearl Cantrell told NBC affiliate KRBC. "I don't feel as old as I am, that's all I can say."
Cantrell became a widow at age 38 and worked as everything from a cotton picker to a hay baler while raising seven kids on her own. Although Cantrell retired decades ago, she kept mowing her own lawn until the age of 100, according to the West Texas Tribune. She also still dances — some of her favorite styles include country dancing, waltzing and two-stepping.
When Oscar Mayer found out about Cantrell's love of bacon, they sent one of their iconic Wienermobile to make a bacon delivery to Cantrell's home. Cantrell rode “shot-bun” in the Wienermobile through her hometown, as dozens of local residents watched.
"We've seen a lot of stories on the road, but nothing quite like this one, so we're excited to be here," an Oscar Meyer spokesman told Big Country Homepage. "We know she’s an inspiration. Pearl is an inspiration for the community, and her friends and family. So we had to make a special stop here for her today."
A study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine last March found that eating a serving of processed red meat every day increased the risk of participants dying prematurely by 13 percent. If a person ate an additional serving of processed red meat, the chance of dying during the 22 year study period jumped to 20 percent. However, a more recent study performed by the University of Zurich found the opposite: that eating little or no red meat can be a risk factor for early death.
Despite what research says, Cantrell plans to continue eating bacon and dancing.
"I love bacon, I could eat it for every meal — and I do!" Cantrell said.
- AP Poll: Support grows among Americans for...
- IS attack on Afghan protest kills 80 people,...
- Political scandals linger as Philly readies...
- How Hillary Clinton chose Virginia Sen. Tim...
- Police say Munich suspect was obsessed with...
- AP PHOTOS: A selection of pictures from the...
- Hillary Clinton still hard to define despite...
- Penny-farthing owner keeps on riding
- Sarah Silverman: Bernie-or-bust Dems... 49
- Is Bernie Sanders an atheist? 42
- Clinton wins historic nomination,... 36
- After turmoil, Sanders, Michelle Obama,... 31
- Dems' division, emails roil party on... 28
- Trump says Russia should find Clinton's... 27
- Watch live at the Democratic National... 25
- In wake of email hack, Democratic chair... 23