Juveniles confess to setting fire at Mormon chapel in Magna
Ravell Call, Deseret News
MAGNA — Three juveniles confessed Monday to setting hymnals on fire late Sunday, resulting in a Monday morning blaze at an LDS Church.
A passer-by early Monday noticed white smoke coming from the eaves of the building, 7525 W. 3635 South, and called 911, said Unified Fire Authority Capt. Clint Meacham. When firefighters arrived around 7:15 a.m., the entire building was filled with smoke, he said.
Investigators pieced together evidence left at the scene, including a door to the building that appeared to have been broken or forced open. It is unknown how the three kids were located, but Meacham said they confessed to starting the blaze.
"The material smoldered for quite a long time before it got hot enough to actually set the surrounding furnishing and contents on fire," he said.
Because of the types and quality of furnishings contained within the chapel and the amount of Sheetrock material that had to be torn down during the extinguishing and investigation process, Meacham said damage quickly reached $500,000.
The juveniles are facing possible charges for arson and other crimes, as they were not supposed to be in the building when they set the fire. Their ages were not released Monday.
Meacham said it is unknown what materials were used to set the hymn books on fire.
No one was injured in the fire, and damage was contained mostly to the chapel. Smoke damage, however, was reported throughout the building, and some windows were blown out due to a change in pressure inside the building.
Meacham said the size and nature of the building made for a more lengthy investigation and more information is likely to come out as the potential charges are vetted.
- 9-month anniversary of landslide marked by...
- After finding a vehicle they believe to be...
- Promise ring, pregnancy talk shows...
- 2 fugitives arrested thanks to alert...
- Humanitarian Bishnu Adhikari hopeful for...
- Student in officer training course...
- 20 years later, parents of missing Spanish...
- 3-year-old run over, killed following family...
- 2 deadly Utah County shootings spark... 106
- One man dead after attempted carjacking... 39
- Mitt Romney tells UVU grads to 'live a... 23
- Audit reveals flawed projections on... 18
- 9-month anniversary of landslide marked... 16
- Governor, legislators leave 'baggage'... 14
- Jury convicts San Juan County... 13
- New prison site could be recommended... 11