BYU track: Victor Weirich wins pole vault at ECAC/IC4A Championships
PRINCETON, N.J. — Victor Weirich led the BYU men’s track and field team Saturday with a first-place finish in the pole vault, becoming only the second BYU track athlete to win an ECAC/IC4A Championship.
Weirich finished the meet clearing 5.45m (17-10.59), which ranks him fourth overall on the BYU all-time outdoor record board in the pole vault.
Teammate Braydon Bringhurst placed eighth overall with a mark of 4.95m.
In the preliminary rounds, eight athletes from the men’s team qualified for the finals.
In the 5,000 meters, Jared Rohatinsky placed 12th overall with a time of 3:51.24. Rohatinsky was the last runner in the race to qualify.
Ryan Jones finished narrowly behind Rohatinsky in 13th with a time of 3:52.50.
In the 100 meters, Fan Fan Charles placed second overall with a qualifying time of 10.72.
The finals for these events take place on Sunday, but because of BYU’s no Sunday play policy, none of the BYU athletes will compete.
With the conclusion of the conference championships, the men’s track and field team will compete next at the NCAA West Regionals on May 23-25 in Austin, Texas. Final results for regional qualifiers will not be posted until Monday.
Steven Tew is an SID at BYU Athletic Communications. He can be contacted at email@example.com,
- Red and Blue Recruits: BYU's new commit gets...
- Records fall as BYU, Chase Fischer shoot past...
- Dick Harmon: Christian Stewart's season of...
- BYU football: After initial struggles,...
- BYU guard Kyle Collinsworth playing like...
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants freshmen to...
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss to...
- NFL playoff picture: Can the Lions, with...
- Haws, Collinsworth shine, but SDSU... 66
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 40
- BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall wants... 36
- BYU looking for strong finish in... 29
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 27
- Cougars fall short again in 87-85 loss... 20
- BYU basketball instant analysis: There... 20
- BYU looking to make a big splash at... 18