High school softball: San Juan wins thriller over Enterprise in 2A title game
The biggest moment, however, came when senior center fielder Lexus Latham shook off a season of hitting frustrating and produced the game-winning single in the bottom of the seventh.
Her single to center field allowed Su’e Su’e, who stood on second, to score the game-winning run.
“It was amazing,” said Latham through tears. “It was amazing. That’s was the most relaxed at-bat I’ve had. I think that’s why I got it.”
Her hit ended a thrilling state championship game between two powerful pitchers, backed up by hard-hitting batters.
“Enterprise is a good team,” said San Juan head coach Craig Swenson, who celebrated his 220th win with Saturday’s title. “We knew they were going to give us a great game. We just kept battling back and finally strung a few hits together, got some base runners and capitalized on it.”
Despite ending the season on a loss, Enterprise head coach Duane Wallin also expressed pride in his club, especially for the way it battled two of the state’s best teams — Manti and San Juan — on Saturday.
“(Dakota Robinson) is one of the best pitchers in the state of Utah,” he said. “She works hard at it and she definitely keeps us in ballgames. I thought she battled well today, especially as a pitcher. You get all those home runs hit on you yesterday, it’s hard to come back. But she did today. It didn’t faze her and she came right out and faced all of their tough hitters again today.”
Enterprise earned the chance to try to win its first softball state title by defeating defending 2A champion Manti 10-2 in the 10 a.m. game. The same three teams battled last year on the final day of the tournament, and Wallin suspects that might be the case next year as San Juan loses only three players; Enterprise loses just one senior; and Manti has no starting seniors.
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- Already impressing: Utah Jazz rookie Dante...
- Amy Donaldson: Not deciding on a starting...
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Sunday morning quarterback: Stars and stats...
- Utah Jazz give key starters a break in 98-91...
- Utes continue Pac-12 'meat grinder' with...
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but flutters...
- Utes top Oregon State in double overtime 114
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 48
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 44
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 32
- Peavler: Penalties out of control at BYU 28
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 27
- Dick Harmon: BYU's defense could use... 24