High school softball: San Juan wins thriller over Enterprise in 2A title game
The biggest moment, however, came when senior center fielder Lexus Latham shook off a season of hitting frustrating and produced the game-winning single in the bottom of the seventh.
Her single to center field allowed Su’e Su’e, who stood on second, to score the game-winning run.
“It was amazing,” said Latham through tears. “It was amazing. That’s was the most relaxed at-bat I’ve had. I think that’s why I got it.”
Her hit ended a thrilling state championship game between two powerful pitchers, backed up by hard-hitting batters.
“Enterprise is a good team,” said San Juan head coach Craig Swenson, who celebrated his 220th win with Saturday’s title. “We knew they were going to give us a great game. We just kept battling back and finally strung a few hits together, got some base runners and capitalized on it.”
Despite ending the season on a loss, Enterprise head coach Duane Wallin also expressed pride in his club, especially for the way it battled two of the state’s best teams — Manti and San Juan — on Saturday.
“(Dakota Robinson) is one of the best pitchers in the state of Utah,” he said. “She works hard at it and she definitely keeps us in ballgames. I thought she battled well today, especially as a pitcher. You get all those home runs hit on you yesterday, it’s hard to come back. But she did today. It didn’t faze her and she came right out and faced all of their tough hitters again today.”
Enterprise earned the chance to try to win its first softball state title by defeating defending 2A champion Manti 10-2 in the 10 a.m. game. The same three teams battled last year on the final day of the tournament, and Wallin suspects that might be the case next year as San Juan loses only three players; Enterprise loses just one senior; and Manti has no starting seniors.
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional game with...
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to go’
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes off,...
- Utah State set to hire assistant Tim Duryea...
- Brad Rock: The unforgettable Hot Rod Hundley
- Photo gallery: BYU rugby blanks Utah State in...
- 5 things you may have missed at BYU...
- Dick Harmon: Nomadic hoops coach Tony Ingle...
- A not-so-Sweet 16 for the Runnin' Utes... 123
- Former Jazz big man Enes Kanter goes... 38
- Brad Rock: Utes shouldn't feel bad, in... 34
- Utes went down swinging in Sweet 16... 34
- BYU defense has ‘a long ways to... 25
- Dick Harmon: BYU's spring football... 23
- Jazz knock off Thunder in emotional... 21
- Badger looking to become part of BYU's... 21