SANDY — Piano music filled the air of the South Towne Center Saturday during a fundraiser for a Sandy woman who was hit by a car almost 10 months ago.
Family and friends of Jennifer Strong came together to help raise funds for Strong's medical bills and continuing treatment. Dozens of students and instructors played during the eight-piano recital called A Colossal Event — Music Connecting People. Strong, who played violin and piano before the accident, expressed gratitude for the support she has received.
She also said she was thankful for the day, as she is for every day she is alive.
"I'm doing OK so far," she said.
Strong, 30, was hit by a car in August after walking onto the I-80 freeway to retrieve a bike that had fallen from the family car. She spent four months in a coma and remains at a care facility while she continues to recover.
"It's been very difficult," husband Nathan Strong said. "Long nights, long days, but looking back, it's gone very quickly."
The mother of four will return home soon, but will be dependent on others, her father Don Liveley said. The family hopes she will eventually be able to walk again.
Her recovery has been steady but slow, Lively said, and her progress is measured in "inchstones" instead of milestones.
Strong continues to suffer from short-term memory loss and seizures but has recovered from four cracked vertebrae, a broken shoulder blade, broken pelvis, several fractures in both arms and her right leg.
"We didn't expect her to live. The doctor's didn't either," her step-mother Maria Lively said.
Nathan Strong described his wife as the love of his life in a YouTube video he created in conjunction with the fundraiser. He visits his wife almost daily at the care center.
"We've got a long way," he said. "Her recovery has only just begun. She really only started waking up in December."
Saturday's support and other assistance the family receives has helped keep them going.
"People I've never met care about us, and that touches me very deeply," Nathan Strong said.
Contributing: Alex Cabrero
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15