BYU men's basketball: Chase Fischer transferring from Wake Forest to BYU
PROVO — Unable to find his role at Wake Forest, guard Chase Fischer is looking for a fresh start at BYU.
After playing for two seasons with the Demon Deacons, the 6-foot-3 shooting guard announced this weekend that he has decided to become a Cougar. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Fischer will sit out the upcoming 2013-14 season but will have two seasons of eligibility beginning in 2014-15.
Fischer is expected to shore up BYU's 3-point shooting — he shot 42 percent from 3-point range last year at Wake Forest.
"BYU is a nationally recognized program, but, more importantly, I wanted to go some place I think I fit in," Fischer told the Charleston Daily Mail, a West Virginia newspaper.
Fischer was a prolific scorer in high school and was one of the best scorers in West Virginia prep history, finishing with 2,210 points.
A native of Ripley, W.V., Fischer averaged 6.3 points and shot 32 percent from behind the arc as a freshman at Wake Forest. Last season, as a sophomore, he averaged 4.5 points per game.
The man who recruited Fischer to Wake Forest was Mark Pope, who is now an assistant at BYU.
After deciding to transfer, Fischer was considering BYU, Valparaiso, Florida Gulf Coast, Ball State and Wofford. Fischer and his family took a recruiting trip to Provo last week. He said he's found a home at BYU.
"It was kind of an unknown for me at first, being far away," Fischer told the Daily Mail. "But I have a lot of respect for the school and I love their style of play. They play super fast, shoot a lot of 3s. It fits my game perfectly."
With the addition of Fischer and the departure of two players, BYU has two available scholarships remaining. Guard Raul Delgado is transferring to Metro State and center Ian Harward is quitting basketball due to a back injury.
The spring basketball signing period concludes next week, and BYU is expected to sign at least one more player.
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends up in...
- Dick Harmon: Dick Harmon: Tanner Mangum is...
- Jimmer Fredette has BYU-esque performance in...
- After years of working and dreaming, BYU...
- MWC commissioner says it's probable BYU...
- Tebow’s recent breakup creates divide...
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl...
- About Utah: A big deal just got bigger
- Utes outlast Colorado to cap best... 110
- College Football: Utah moves back into... 71
- Morning links: Examining Utah's bowl... 68
- For now, odds are '50-50' that BYU ends... 66
- BYU's big plays, big second half, spell... 47
- Dick Harmon: After tossing 4 TDs, BYU's... 39
- Brad Rock: Utes need bowl win to avoid... 37
- BYU basketball: Collinsworth sets NCAA... 37