Abercrombie & Fitch only sells to 'cool, good-looking' people
University of Utah graduates and owners of Beauty Redefined, Lexi and Lindsey Kite, chimed in after several posts on their Facebook page regarding Jeffries' choices for his company.
"Abercrombie's CEO has just reinforced the truth and necessity of Beauty Redefined," the post said. "Thank you, Mike Jeffries! Ladies, we must not let profit-driven media makers sell us lies about our value and our worth. We are capable of so much more than that."
Sara Taney Humphreys, an writer for the Huffington Post, questioned if the statements could in fact be true in her article, "A Message to Abercrombie's CEO from a Former Fat Girl." After taking a second glance and realizing that Jeffries had actually made such statements, Humphreys concluded that such a man must not have had children of his own.
"He's never had his 8-year-old come home in tears because another kid teased him in front of the rest of the class. He never had to watch his daughter cry herself to sleep because she somehow felt that she didn't measure up, that she wasn't good enough due to the shape or size of her body."
The message of self-worth is not only important for teenage girls, but for their mothers as well. This month Dove held self-esteem workshops during the 2013 Mom 2.0 Summit in Laguna Niguel, Calif. In a report from Farah L. Miller with the Huffington Post, Miller expressed the important role families, rather than culture, can play on young girls.
"Listening to them, I realized that I need to model confidence for my daughter because she is learning from me, yes, but also because putting myself down hurts her," Miller wrote. "It means tackling what's on the inside, being as secure in my own skin as I want her to be in the world."
- What 'shared parenting' is and how it can...
- UTubers: Redhead Express covers 'I Knew I...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Parenting around the...
- RootsTech 2016 a 25,000-member 'studio audience'
- Figuring out why teens turn to pornography
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Losing weight with the...
- What it's like for a dad to raise a fencing...
- Here's an unexpected way to get healthier...
- Figuring out why teens turn to pornography 13
- As 'Sesame Street' debuts on HBO, some... 2
- UTubers: Utah native stars as Sandy in... 1
- Amy Choate-Nielsen: Father's... 1
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Losing weight... 1
- Tangy orange shrimp dish that's quickly... 1
- What 'shared parenting' is and how it... 1
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Parenting... 1