Davis County Sheriff's Office
NORTH SALT LAKE — Pride in his graffiti work led to the arrest of 20-year-old North Salt Lake man.
Police said they were able to catch up with Matthew Quinn Todakonzie because he posted more than 150 photos his work on Facebook and shared them with an undercover officer.
Police said the pictures were fairly easy to match in more than two dozen instances because of his unique tag: HOKES.
"(There are) 10 to 20 (tags) from one individual, so this is quite a number for North Salt Lake specifically,” North Salt Lake Police Sgt. Mitch Gwilliam said.
By searching online for a tagged phrase, detectives found a private MySpace page. The profile shows a man with his face covered up and the tag "HOKES" behind him.
"As a graffiti artist, it appears that he was pretty proud of his work,” Gwilliam said.
Police say Todakonzie kept a private photo gallery on a Facebook page titled graffiti. A detective sent a friend request through a fake profile, and Todakonzie accepted.
"They want to be recognized to a certain extent for their work,” Gwilliam said. “They are, generally speaking, very proud of what they do."
Todakonzie was arrested Thursday and booked into the Davis County Jail for investigation of several counts of criminal mischief graffiti and criminal trespass.
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds, high...
- Man fighting for custody of daughter may get...
- Police identify body found on Ben Lomond...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- 13 of the best 'No Shave November' mustaches...
- Police open homicide investigation after man...
- S.L. Comic Con founders report progress in...
- 5 Utah E. coli cases linked to Costco chicken...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 43
- U. professor, students call on SCOTUS... 29
- Carson tops new poll of Utah voters 28
- Anatomy of a trip: The Utah-Switzerland... 22
- Former Gov. Leavitt warns action needed... 19
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Longtime Salt Lake County Councilman... 15
- Terrorism propaganda assignment causes... 15