Davis County Sheriff's Office
NORTH SALT LAKE — Pride in his graffiti work led to the arrest of 20-year-old North Salt Lake man.
Police said they were able to catch up with Matthew Quinn Todakonzie because he posted more than 150 photos his work on Facebook and shared them with an undercover officer.
Police said the pictures were fairly easy to match in more than two dozen instances because of his unique tag: HOKES.
"(There are) 10 to 20 (tags) from one individual, so this is quite a number for North Salt Lake specifically,” North Salt Lake Police Sgt. Mitch Gwilliam said.
By searching online for a tagged phrase, detectives found a private MySpace page. The profile shows a man with his face covered up and the tag "HOKES" behind him.
"As a graffiti artist, it appears that he was pretty proud of his work,” Gwilliam said.
Police say Todakonzie kept a private photo gallery on a Facebook page titled graffiti. A detective sent a friend request through a fake profile, and Todakonzie accepted.
"They want to be recognized to a certain extent for their work,” Gwilliam said. “They are, generally speaking, very proud of what they do."
Todakonzie was arrested Thursday and booked into the Davis County Jail for investigation of several counts of criminal mischief graffiti and criminal trespass.
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental shooting...
- Home makeover honors refugee family's service...
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah universities...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- 20-year-old woman killed after car veers off...
- Skiers celebrate snow and opening of Park...
- Man shot, killed in confrontation with police...
- Alcohol use suspected in Uintah County crash...
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 65
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 56
- Executive action brings 'temporary... 48
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 47
- Groups petition for gun bans from... 28
- Teen in Springville family found dead... 18
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 17
- Firing squads could be legal again in Utah 16