Book review: 'Mattie' is delightful read set at time of Mexican Revolution
"Mattie" is a captivating historical novel based on the true experiences of M. Ann Rohrer's maternal grandmother who was born and raised in Colonia Juarez, one of the 13 Mormon settlements in Mexico.
Included in the coming of age events of Mattie's life is a brush with realities of the Mexican Revolution.
"Mattie" has drama and realistic yearnings of the heart, seemingly unattainable dreams, disappointments, dangers and an intense trial of faith. Mattie endures after first wavering in her faith and finds strength beyond her own.
Life-changing decisions seem to be around every corner for Mattie as she tries to listen to her heart and mind and search for God's promptings.
"Mattie" is a delicious read filled with history, intrigue, adventure, danger, finding faith and discovering God. It is the story of one young woman's quest to find her true self.
Rohrer has also documented the facts that she used to base each part of the novel.
Rohrer was born in Colonia Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico. When she was 9, she moved with her family to Toquepala, Peru, South America, where they lived for 10 years. After attending Juarez Academy in Mexico her sophomore year, she returned to Peru and finished her junior and senior years through correspondence.
In 1965, the family returned to the United States, settling in Tucson, Ariz. Rohrer served a two-year mission to the Mexico City Mexico Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She is married to John Rohrer and they live in Pasco, Wash. They have five boys, one daughter and at the present 13 grandchildren.
Becky Robinette Wright is a freelance writer and photographer who lives in Virginia.
- LDS dad among finalists for Doritos Super...
- LDS Church's official website to evolve over...
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks friends,...
- LDS mission president's wife dies
- Book review: Young widow's memoir presents a...
- 'His paths are righteous' — Elder Cook...
- Faith, friends and football: Stanford...
- Family motto helps LDS couple put parenting...
- See why this woman's decision not to... 39
- Hamblin & Peterson: Bible wars among... 37
- At BYU, Catholic archbishop seeks... 30
- Defending the Faith: A tribute to... 17
- LDS mission president's wife dies 15
- Religious response to postponed... 12
- Some Republican presidential hopefuls... 10
- Faith, friends and football: Stanford... 9