Book review: 'Mattie' is delightful read set at time of Mexican Revolution
"Mattie" is a captivating historical novel based on the true experiences of M. Ann Rohrer's maternal grandmother who was born and raised in Colonia Juarez, one of the 13 Mormon settlements in Mexico.
Included in the coming of age events of Mattie's life is a brush with realities of the Mexican Revolution.
"Mattie" has drama and realistic yearnings of the heart, seemingly unattainable dreams, disappointments, dangers and an intense trial of faith. Mattie endures after first wavering in her faith and finds strength beyond her own.
Life-changing decisions seem to be around every corner for Mattie as she tries to listen to her heart and mind and search for God's promptings.
"Mattie" is a delicious read filled with history, intrigue, adventure, danger, finding faith and discovering God. It is the story of one young woman's quest to find her true self.
Rohrer has also documented the facts that she used to base each part of the novel.
Rohrer was born in Colonia Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico. When she was 9, she moved with her family to Toquepala, Peru, South America, where they lived for 10 years. After attending Juarez Academy in Mexico her sophomore year, she returned to Peru and finished her junior and senior years through correspondence.
In 1965, the family returned to the United States, settling in Tucson, Ariz. Rohrer served a two-year mission to the Mexico City Mexico Mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She is married to John Rohrer and they live in Pasco, Wash. They have five boys, one daughter and at the present 13 grandchildren.
Becky Robinette Wright is a freelance writer and photographer who lives in Virginia.
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Free tickets for Ogden LDS Temple open house...
- Brain injury changes the lives and tests the...
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby...
- LDS leaders picture quiz: Can you name that...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 64
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 44
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 38
- Obama will sign order barring gay,... 25
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 14
- What would Jesus buy? New website helps... 12
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 11
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 10