BYU football: Incoming offensive linemen prepare to make immediate contributions
It’s one thing to work out on-campus with position coaches motivating you at every turn. It’s quite another to take the initiative upon yourself to at least try and keep up with the work being done by those already in the program.
According to those who have passed through the program, while observing incoming junior college transfers, getting into playing shape is generally the biggest challenge for first-year players. The challenge is made all the more difficult with the severe altitude change Provo presents to many incoming players.
The altitude factor is something Carter became familiar with while serving an LDS mission to Salt Lake City.
“I know that I wasn’t ready for the altitude change when I first got on my mission, but having been through that I think is an advantage I’ll have,” he said. “Right now I’m just preparing as best I can, and fortunately I have some great friends who are helping motivate me. It’s easier working out with friends and having people push you, and fortunately I’ve had some of that since I signed with BYU.”
Carter, like most incoming players, will arrive around June 24 in time for summer block classes, while others will be arriving a bit earlier.
“I’ll get to Provo around June 10 and stay with some family I have in the area,” Kearsley said. “Until then it’s up to me to motivate myself and my motivation is simply my desire to play. If you want to play, you have to work. That’s what coach Tujague is all about and I trust him fully as a coach. I know that if I put forth the work that there’s a decent chance I’ll play this year. That’s my motivation.”
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Friday night lights: Live coverage of the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- New York Jets waive former BYU quarterback...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 74
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- Rock On: Sarkisian runs afoul of BYU... 39
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 29
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 24