SALT LAKE CITY — A red kangaroo, kookaburra, blue-tongued skink and other Australian animals housed at the San Diego Zoo will visit Fashion Place Mall Saturday.
Diesel, a red kangaroo, will join other animals from the zoo's newest exhibit, the Conrad Prebys Australian Outback, from 11 a.m to 1 p.m. at the mall.
Salt Lake City is a big market for the San Diego Zoo, so it added the area as a stop on its media tour.
The free event will also feature a Moluccan cockatoo and a cane toad. Families can pose for pictures with the animals and attend an animal presentation by zoo ambassador Rick Schwartz. He will educate families on the impact they have on the animals in the environment.
"It's my goal to connect people with nature and wildlife," Schwartz said.
He hopes to enlighten the public on little things they can do, such as recycle, that will help improve wildlife conditions.
The Australian Outback exhibit — set to open Memorial Day weekend — will house the koalas, skink, kangaroos, wombats, Australian birds, echidna, ringtail possums and other Australian animals. The San Diego Zoo is home to 22 Queensland koalas, the biggest koala colony outside of Australia.
The zoo is a nonprofit organization that focuses on protecting endangered species and reducing the human impact on wildlife.
— Whitney Evans
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- Charges: Magna mom got 13-year-old son drunk
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at Sharia...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 114
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 63
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 28
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 27
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16