Utah Jazz to host first pre-draft workout with four guards, two bigs
Eric Gay, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SALT LAKE CITY — The NBA draft isn't for another seven weeks, but the Utah Jazz are in full prep mode for that June 27 event.
Utah has two first-round picks, including a lottery selection (likely No. 14) and the No. 21 choice via Golden State to cap off the Deron Williams deal with the Nets. The Jazz also have the No. 46 spot in the second round.
The team will hold its first pre-draft workout Saturday with six players, including four guards and two big men.
The invitees include: 6-6 guard/forward James Ennis, Long Beach State; 6-1 guard Myck Kabongo, Texas; 6-9 forward Jamelle Hagins, Delaware; 7-foot center Colton Iverson, Colorado State; 6-5 guard Michael Snaer, Florida State; and 6-4 guard Nate Wolters, South Dakota State.
Neither the public nor media are allowed to watch the pre-draft workouts. Media will have an opportunity to interview players after the first tryout session, but the Jazz announced that none of their staff members will be available for comment.
The Jazz currently only have five players with guaranteed contracts for next year, including Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, Enes Kanter, Alec Burks and Jeremy Evans. That means Utah has at least eight roster spots it must fill by next season.
Ennis is the highest-rated of the group, according to NBADraft.net. The prospect-oriented website has projected the swingman to go 30th to Phoenix.
Others from this group in the mock draft include Kabongo (35th, Sixers) and Wolters (39th, Blazers).
DraftExpress.com actually has the Jazz picking up Snaer, a shooting guard, with their second-round pick. Others from this group in their mock draft: Wolters (38th, Pistons), Kabongo (39th, Blazers) and Ennis (51st, Magic).
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- NHL coming to Las Vegas; New team to start...
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 29
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 26
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 25
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 14