With the end of the school year comes announcement of the area universities’ 2013-14 theater seasons. The lineup includes five award-winning musicals, four Shakespeare plays and five new works by local playwrights.
BYU: Hans Christian Andersen’s “The Nightingale,” adapted for the stage by Timothy Mason, directed by Julia Ashworth and Kori Wakamatsu, Sept. 27–Oct. 12; “The Light in the Piazza,” book by Craig Lucas, music and lyrics by Adam Guettel, directed by Scott Eckern, Nov. 15–Dec. 7; Shakespeare’s “Cymbeline,” directed by Teresa Dayley Love, Jan. 30–Feb. 7, 2014; “A Man for All Seasons” by Robert Bolt, directed by David Morgan, March 7–22, 2014; Jane Austen’s “Pride and Prejudice,” adapted for the stage by Melissa Leilani Larson, directed by Barta Heiner, March 21–April 4, 2014; Oscar Wilde’s “The Selfish Giant,” adapted by Teresa Dayley Love, directed by Jennifer and Nat Reed, May 30–June 14, 2014
U. of U.: “Once Upon a Mattress,” music by Mary Rodgers, lyrics by Marshall Barer, book by Jay Thomspon, Dean Fuller and Marshall Barer, directed by David Schmidt, June 21–July 7; Shakespeare’s “Two Gentlemen of Verona,” directed by Hugh Hanson, July 18–28; “Metamorphoses” by Mary Zimmerman, Sept. 20–29; “Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead” by Tom Stoppard, directed by Jerry Rapier, Sept. 26–29; “Avenue Q,” music and lyrics by Robert Lopez and Jeff Marx, book by Jeff Whitty, directed by David Schmidt, Nov. 8–24; “Love Alone” by Deborah Salem Smith, directed by Alexandra Harbold, Nov. 14–17; “She Loves Me,” book by Joe Masteroff, music by Jerry Bock, lyrics by Sheldon Harnick, directed by Denny Berry, Feb. 7–23, 2014; Shakespeare’s “Romeo and Juliet,” directed by Sarah Shippobotham, Feb. 20–23, 2014; “Musical Theatre Program Senior Showcase,” directed by Denny Berry, March 27-April 13, 2014; “In the Next Room” by Sarah Ruhl, April 18–27, 2014
UVU: Plato’s “Dialogues,” directed by Ashley Rader Ramsey, Sept. 11-16; “Story Stone” by Wendy Gourley, directed Barrett Ogden, Sept. 26-Oct. 5; “Next to Normal,” music by Tom Kitt, book and lyrics by Brian Yorkey, directed by Dave Tinney, Nov. 7-23; Bertolt Brecht’s “Caucasian Chalk Circle,” directed by Laurie Harrop-Purser, Jan. 23-Feb. 1, 2014; “Lilly’s Purple Purse,” adapted by Kevin Kling from children’s book series by Kevin Henkes, directed by John Newman, Feb. 27-March 22, 2014; Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew,” directed by Lisa Hall Hagen, April 10-26, 2014; and five shows on undetermined dates: “The Farley Family Xmas,” “Holiday Night Live,” “Jack Frost,” “Letters to Myself” and “Short Attention Span Theatre”
- Lexi Walker sings 'Let It Go' solo with One...
- Sherry Young: The man who delivers flowers,...
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket challenge
- New Star Wars tabletop games announced
- There's something wonderful about old music
- Public will soon see 125-million-year-old...
- The art of improv: Creating something funny...
- The dog days of summer bring out movies that...
- US diplomats barred from ice bucket... 11
- Lexi Walker sings 'Let It Go' solo with... 9
- About Utah: She showed him the light 3
- Public will soon see... 3
- MAC Commissioner: ESPN deal brings... 2
- Sherry Young: The man who delivers... 1
- The dog days of summer bring out movies... 1
- There's something wonderful about old... 1