Stuart Johnson, Deseret Newsstuart Johnson, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — University of Utah police hope to put the brakes on reckless skateboarding and cycling with a new policy that would ban recreational riding on campus.
The proposed policy would limit the permitted uses of bikes, skateboards and scooters to transportation to and from campus-related activities by students and staff. The measure received preliminary approval this week from the university's Academic Senate.
Campus spokesman Keith Sterling said the policy will be re-evaluated next month by the university's Executive Council prior to any official action by the board of trustees.
"This is only a draft at this point," he said. "This is not final."
Sterling said the policy was written in response to several incidents in which members of the campus community were involved in collisions with reckless cyclists and skateboarders.
"There’s an issue of safety," he said, "and that’s really the core of this entire thing. There needs to be, we believe, a stronger policy of safety regarding our campus because there have been injuries."
Sterling said officials are still working through the exact wording of the policy, which in its current form would not permit rule-abiding members of the public to travel on or pass through campus by bike or skateboard.
"We need to be mindful of the safety concerns, because they are legitimate," he said. "At the same time, we need to be mindful that there are folks that abide by the laws and are safe that use our campus."
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Martin MacNeill gets maximum sentence for...
- Supporters for traditional marriage focus on...
- Police release names of officers involved in...
- Motorcyclist critically injured in Roosevelt...
- Bystanders flip SUV to rescue teen from river
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge drinking...
- Astronomers find massive black hole in tiny...
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 129
- Police break silence about... 50
- Utah has some of the rudest drivers,... 42
- New definition of homeless would give... 31
- Utah, Western states say feds are all... 26
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 22
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Love says commenting on Saratoga... 19