BYU basketball: Center Ian Harward ends career early due to lingering back injury
PROVO — BYU announced Thursday afternoon that 6-foot-11 Orem native Ian Harward will end his college basketball career due to a lingering back injury he first sustained during the summer of 2012. He will continue his studies at BYU.
"We are sorry to lose Ian to injury," said coach Dave Rose. "He is a fantastic teammate and one of the hardest workers we have had in our program. He will be missed in the locker room and on the floor. We wish him and his wife Sarah the very best."
Harward played sparingly in 22 games over his two-year career and finished with 22 points, 21 rebounds and two blocks.
"I'm disappointed that my basketball career is ending," Harward said. "I've loved being a part of this program and playing with my teammates. They're a great group of guys and I'll miss being a part of that. My wife and I are excited to complete our education here at BYU and to move on to the next stage in life."
The recent departures of Raul Delgado and Harward open up two scholarships to be filled for next season. BYU has three total scholarships left to award.
Harward is the third BYU player in the last two years to end his career prematurely because of injury. Chris Collinsworth and Stephen Rogers are the others.
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford to...
- NFL locals photo gallery: Kyle Van Noy and...
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're proud...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- A good life: Former Weber State, NFL...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- BYU football: Cougars announce future games...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 123
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 106
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 99
- AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco: 'We're... 68
- Teeples: The Big 12 simply can't afford... 62
- BYU football: Cougars announce future... 53
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 51
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 29