In remarks earlier in the program, college dean Jack L. Rasmussen gave examples of the positive impact of the eight community outreach programs that are now part of the new center.
“The programs are focused on support and education of children, students and families, and they do make a difference,” Rasmussen said. “Now as we look to the future, we want to make sure that these programs continue, that they flourish, grow and evolve with the changing needs of those that we seek to nurture. We want to put in place the necessary funding and organization support to make this happen. The naming of the center with the accompanying endowment will provide the avenue to ensure that these goals are accomplished.”
Here is a list of the eight community outreach programs the new center will help administer and support:
Literacy Project prepares children from less-privileged backgrounds for success in school and life.
Teachers Assistant Pathway to Teaching assists public school volunteers and teacher assistants who have the desire and commitment to become fully licensed teachers.
Families Alive Conference champions the successes of everyday families in areas of communication, problem solving, teaching, advocacy and strengthening relationships.
Teachers of Tomorrow helps provide a bridge to college for high school students interested in teaching as a profession.
WSU Charter Academy, new this fall, will focus on educating the whole child using developmentally appropriate and research-supported curricula and instructional methods.
Storytelling Festival attracts national regional and student storytellers who engage listeners while promoting literacy, culture and the arts.
Melba S. Lehner Children’s School provides a setting for training university students in teaching young children.
Child Care Resource and Referral assists families to find quality care while helping caregivers provide the most nurturing environment possible for children.
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- LDS apostle Elder Russell M. Nelson turns 90
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith adds...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Defending the Faith: The restoration of... 57
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 17
- Here's how U.S. churches are changing... 15
- Ted Cruz was booed off stage for... 14
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith... 10
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 10
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- The biggest band in the world is also... 7