High school baseball: Lone Peak ends season with victory over Pleasant Grove
HIGHLAND — Three runs on 10 hits, including a solo home run by junior Hunter Christensen, gave Lone Peak a 3-2 win over Pleasant Grove in the Knights' final game of the season Wednesday.
"The boys played great," said Lone Peak coach Jason Turley. "They had fun. It's always good to go out with a win."
Wednesday's game was ruled by defenses during the first 3 1/2 innings. However, four Lone Peak batters walked in the bottom half of the fourth to give the Knights a 1-0 advantage.
Pleasant Grove responded with a pair of runs in the fifth inning, but the Knights came right back and matched those two runs in the bottom half of the frame to lead 3-2.
Neither team scored again.
"We played with no emotion to win today," said Pleasant Grove coach Darrin Henry.
Lone Peak ends the season with a 5-10 record in Region 4 and an 11-12 record overall.
"The Lone Peak baseball culture is better," said Turley. "Our key players are all underclassmen and they are excited to return next year."
Coach Henry added: "Coach Turley and I have the youngest teams in the region, and will be bringing back most of outfielders and pitching staff."
Pleasant Grove ends the regular season with a 6-9 record in Region 4 and a 14-10 record overall. The Vikings will face the No. 1 team from Region 3 in the 5A playoffs next week.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and reports on varsity athletics at Pleasant Grove High School for Deseret Connect.
- Scott Mitchell: Former U., NFL quarterback...
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big year...
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director of...
- Morning links: Trevor Booker calls Quin...
- 2015 Utah high school football schedules...
- Local flavor in the NBA: Breaking down...
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone Peak...
- National experts weigh in on the Utah Utes'...
- BYU football: Cougars face even more... 138
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 80
- Utes' center Jakob Poeltl says he'll... 66
- Ultimate football road trips:... 47
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- Morning links: BYU close to a new... 34
- Morning links: ESPN calls Utah a dark... 33
- BYU edges Utah, 7-6, with eighth-inning... 32