High school baseball: Lone Peak ends season with victory over Pleasant Grove
HIGHLAND — Three runs on 10 hits, including a solo home run by junior Hunter Christensen, gave Lone Peak a 3-2 win over Pleasant Grove in the Knights' final game of the season Wednesday.
"The boys played great," said Lone Peak coach Jason Turley. "They had fun. It's always good to go out with a win."
Wednesday's game was ruled by defenses during the first 3 1/2 innings. However, four Lone Peak batters walked in the bottom half of the fourth to give the Knights a 1-0 advantage.
Pleasant Grove responded with a pair of runs in the fifth inning, but the Knights came right back and matched those two runs in the bottom half of the frame to lead 3-2.
Neither team scored again.
"We played with no emotion to win today," said Pleasant Grove coach Darrin Henry.
Lone Peak ends the season with a 5-10 record in Region 4 and an 11-12 record overall.
"The Lone Peak baseball culture is better," said Turley. "Our key players are all underclassmen and they are excited to return next year."
Coach Henry added: "Coach Turley and I have the youngest teams in the region, and will be bringing back most of outfielders and pitching staff."
Pleasant Grove ends the regular season with a 6-9 record in Region 4 and a 14-10 record overall. The Vikings will face the No. 1 team from Region 3 in the 5A playoffs next week.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and reports on varsity athletics at Pleasant Grove High School for Deseret Connect.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26