High school baseball: Lone Peak ends season with victory over Pleasant Grove
HIGHLAND — Three runs on 10 hits, including a solo home run by junior Hunter Christensen, gave Lone Peak a 3-2 win over Pleasant Grove in the Knights' final game of the season Wednesday.
"The boys played great," said Lone Peak coach Jason Turley. "They had fun. It's always good to go out with a win."
Wednesday's game was ruled by defenses during the first 3 1/2 innings. However, four Lone Peak batters walked in the bottom half of the fourth to give the Knights a 1-0 advantage.
Pleasant Grove responded with a pair of runs in the fifth inning, but the Knights came right back and matched those two runs in the bottom half of the frame to lead 3-2.
Neither team scored again.
"We played with no emotion to win today," said Pleasant Grove coach Darrin Henry.
Lone Peak ends the season with a 5-10 record in Region 4 and an 11-12 record overall.
"The Lone Peak baseball culture is better," said Turley. "Our key players are all underclassmen and they are excited to return next year."
Coach Henry added: "Coach Turley and I have the youngest teams in the region, and will be bringing back most of outfielders and pitching staff."
Pleasant Grove ends the regular season with a 6-9 record in Region 4 and a 14-10 record overall. The Vikings will face the No. 1 team from Region 3 in the 5A playoffs next week.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and reports on varsity athletics at Pleasant Grove High School for Deseret Connect.
- The 16 most interesting college lists...
- Red and blue recruits: Inside Britain Covey's...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit after ACC...
- Lone Peak guard, former BYU commit Jackson,...
- Faith and family are driving forces for LDS...
- Doug Robinson: What might have been for the...
- BYU basketball: Cougars shake up starting...
- Peavler: Tom Holmoe deserves credit... 74
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 66
- Report: ACC changes stance, now... 61
- Utah secures commitments from two of... 39
- Bruins bruise Utes in 69-59 upset 39
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 36
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 35