High school baseball: Lone Peak ends season with victory over Pleasant Grove
HIGHLAND — Three runs on 10 hits, including a solo home run by junior Hunter Christensen, gave Lone Peak a 3-2 win over Pleasant Grove in the Knights' final game of the season Wednesday.
"The boys played great," said Lone Peak coach Jason Turley. "They had fun. It's always good to go out with a win."
Wednesday's game was ruled by defenses during the first 3 1/2 innings. However, four Lone Peak batters walked in the bottom half of the fourth to give the Knights a 1-0 advantage.
Pleasant Grove responded with a pair of runs in the fifth inning, but the Knights came right back and matched those two runs in the bottom half of the frame to lead 3-2.
Neither team scored again.
"We played with no emotion to win today," said Pleasant Grove coach Darrin Henry.
Lone Peak ends the season with a 5-10 record in Region 4 and an 11-12 record overall.
"The Lone Peak baseball culture is better," said Turley. "Our key players are all underclassmen and they are excited to return next year."
Coach Henry added: "Coach Turley and I have the youngest teams in the region, and will be bringing back most of outfielders and pitching staff."
Pleasant Grove ends the regular season with a 6-9 record in Region 4 and a 14-10 record overall. The Vikings will face the No. 1 team from Region 3 in the 5A playoffs next week.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and reports on varsity athletics at Pleasant Grove High School for Deseret Connect.
- BYU football: The Nebraska Cornhuskers in 6...
- Red and blue recruits: Jaren Hall excited for...
- Cougars respect Nebraska, but say they...
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has...
- Dick Harmon: College predictions: Utes to...
- Flaming spears, furry mascots and drum lines:...
- The top 25 NBA players under 25: Where do...
- Morning links: Taysom Hill profiled by ESPN;...
- Lone Peak's Frank Jackson sees Duke as... 76
- BYU's Davis faces misdemeanor assault,... 69
- BYU football notebook: Team captains... 51
- Michigan to debut its Harbaugh era in... 37
- Take expletives, not religion, out of... 30
- Cougars looking for special season with... 29
- Morning links: Taysom Hill, Chuckie... 28
- Utah's 'big game' against Big Blue has... 28