High school baseball: Lone Peak ends season with victory over Pleasant Grove
HIGHLAND — Three runs on 10 hits, including a solo home run by junior Hunter Christensen, gave Lone Peak a 3-2 win over Pleasant Grove in the Knights' final game of the season Wednesday.
"The boys played great," said Lone Peak coach Jason Turley. "They had fun. It's always good to go out with a win."
Wednesday's game was ruled by defenses during the first 3 1/2 innings. However, four Lone Peak batters walked in the bottom half of the fourth to give the Knights a 1-0 advantage.
Pleasant Grove responded with a pair of runs in the fifth inning, but the Knights came right back and matched those two runs in the bottom half of the frame to lead 3-2.
Neither team scored again.
"We played with no emotion to win today," said Pleasant Grove coach Darrin Henry.
Lone Peak ends the season with a 5-10 record in Region 4 and an 11-12 record overall.
"The Lone Peak baseball culture is better," said Turley. "Our key players are all underclassmen and they are excited to return next year."
Coach Henry added: "Coach Turley and I have the youngest teams in the region, and will be bringing back most of outfielders and pitching staff."
Pleasant Grove ends the regular season with a 6-9 record in Region 4 and a 14-10 record overall. The Vikings will face the No. 1 team from Region 3 in the 5A playoffs next week.
Kent Allen lives in Pleasant Grove and reports on varsity athletics at Pleasant Grove High School for Deseret Connect.
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but plenty of...
- BYU men's volleyball: Cougars trounce the...
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with one-year...
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating from...
- Utah football: Ute offense shines in...
- No stranger to struggle: Cottonwood's Cooper...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Mike Sorensen: To keep or not to keep Utah...
- Jeff Benedict: Jabari Parker announces... 62
- Brad Rock: Utes nickname won't stay... 58
- Jim McMahon closing in on graduating... 56
- BYU Football: Harvey Jackson bolsters... 24
- Dick Harmon: BYU's loading up with... 18
- Brad Rock: Jazz: Sign Gordon Hayward to... 17
- Utah Jazz: Plan's playing out, but... 17
- Utah Jazz: Trey Burke scores career... 15