BYU tennis: No. 38 BYU faces No. 32 Memphis in NCAA tournament
PROVO, Utah - The No. 38 BYU men's tennis team will face No. 32 Memphis in the first round of the 2013 NCAA Division I Men's Tennis Championships on Friday at noon ET at the University of Mississippi.
This marks the fourth time that BYU has competed in the 64-team postseason tournament under coach Brad Pearce.
“We’re excited that we can continue our season and have the opportunity to represent the university in Mississippi,” Pearce said.
BYU finished the 2012-13 campaign in second place in the West Coast Conference with a 7-1 mark. Two weeks ago the Cougars advanced to the finals of the league championship, narrowly losing to No. 8 ranked Pepperdine, 4-3.
This will be the first match between the Cougars (21-6) and the Tigers (14-7). BYU enters the tournament with 10 wins in its last 12 matches. Memphis is riding a seven-match win streak going into the tournament, including a victory over No. 50 Louisville. In the second match of the day on Friday, hosts Ole Miss will battle Lehigh.
The winners from Friday's matches advance to the round of 32 on Saturday. Live scoring for all the weekend's matches will be available by visiting the Ole Miss website.
The last time BYU competed in the NCAA tournament was in 2011 when it fell to San Diego in the first round.
Aaron Sorenson is the tennis sports information director at BYU.
- Quiz: How much do you really know about BYU...
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Looking back at the top 10 NBA draft picks...
- BYU, Utah State football programs receive...
- Kalani Sitake: A summer of prep with...
- BYU baseball: season summary recaps national...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on the...
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan...
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 163
- Sitake not intimidated by BYU's arduous... 56
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 40
- Dick Harmon: 1996 Cotton Bowl champion... 33
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 19
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15
- BYU, Utah State football programs... 8
- Kalani Sitake: A summer of prep with... 7