1 killed, 1 injured in Uintah County oil tank explosion
Steve Puro, Uintah Basin Standard
MYTON, Uintah County — A man was killed and another injured when an oil storage tank exploded during routine maintenance Tuesday night.
Tyson Boren, 28, of Neola, was killed when the 400-barrel tank belonging to Newfield Production exploded about 8:30 p.m. Boren was a contract welder with Boren Construction.
Newfield employee Rusty Harris, 32, was injured in the blast and treated at Uintah Basin Medical Center. A water truck driver at the scene escaped injury.
A spokesman for Newfield Production said the company will cooperate with an investigation by local, state and federal investigators to determine what caused the tank to explode. The large tanks are used to store crude oil and other fluids.
The Uintah County Sheriff's Office has restricted access to the site until investigators arrive.
"We've actually pulled everybody out of the area, secured about one half-mile away," Sgt. Bevan Watkins said.
Newfield Production has its Utah headquarters positioned just outside Myton in Duchesne County. The company is the largest producer of crude oil in the state.
A company spokesman said the oil well where the explosion occurred is a producing well, and Newfield Production will be evaluating the site to determine when it is safe to resume operation.
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed in...
- Union Pacific train makes special delivery...
- West Nile activity discovered in three Utah...
- Community rallies for Kamas family after...
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake team...
- Pioneer Day celebrations set throughout Utah
- Embattled doctor surrenders Utah medical license
- Dancing stars Julianne and Derek Hough visit...
- Supreme Court issues stay in Utah gay... 80
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 30
- Utah unemployment rate second lowest in... 19
- South Jordan councilman wants school... 18
- Anti-porn rally aims at keeping... 15
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- Ex A.G.s John Swallow, Mark Shurtleff... 14
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 13