1 killed, 1 injured in Uintah County oil tank explosion
Steve Puro, Uintah Basin Standard
MYTON, Uintah County — A man was killed and another injured when an oil storage tank exploded during routine maintenance Tuesday night.
Tyson Boren, 28, of Neola, was killed when the 400-barrel tank belonging to Newfield Production exploded about 8:30 p.m. Boren was a contract welder with Boren Construction.
Newfield employee Rusty Harris, 32, was injured in the blast and treated at Uintah Basin Medical Center. A water truck driver at the scene escaped injury.
A spokesman for Newfield Production said the company will cooperate with an investigation by local, state and federal investigators to determine what caused the tank to explode. The large tanks are used to store crude oil and other fluids.
The Uintah County Sheriff's Office has restricted access to the site until investigators arrive.
"We've actually pulled everybody out of the area, secured about one half-mile away," Sgt. Bevan Watkins said.
Newfield Production has its Utah headquarters positioned just outside Myton in Duchesne County. The company is the largest producer of crude oil in the state.
A company spokesman said the oil well where the explosion occurred is a producing well, and Newfield Production will be evaluating the site to determine when it is safe to resume operation.
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty to...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Desire to serve: Even a gunshot couldn't keep...
- Lagoon's Cannibal ride makes late but...
- Elderly man hit, killed while changing tire
- Utah farmer turns alfalfa field into the...
- Two fires were purposely set at U. fraternity...
- Delta man staged hate crimes in a 'cry... 96
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 61
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 41
- Support for law requiring sales tax for... 28
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 26
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Neil Flinders: Keeping track of school... 21
- U.S. Supreme Court overturns EPA's... 14