This week in sports photos: 139th Kentucky Derby, line drive bean ball, Boozer's monster jam
James Crisp, AP
The month of May started off with a bang, literally. The 139th running of the Kentucky Derby saw Orb edge out the competition despite a soggy track.
Injuries and player safety have been the big story in baseball, especially after Toronto picther J.A. Happ had to be carted off after taking a line drive off the side of his head. Happ wasn't the only person hit this week by an errant ball. Golfer Phil Mickelson nailed an unsuspecting fan in the head after his shot missed the fairway.
The NBA playoffs are now in full swing, with electrifying play from Golden State's Step Curry. Curry helped propel his team to a first round win and in the opening game against San Antonio took an awkward fall into the seats after making a three-point shot. Curry wasn't the only person in the NBA making headlines. LeBron James won his fourth MVP award, coming just one vote shy of a unanimous vote. Denver coach George Karl was awarded NBA Coach of the Year.
The rest of the sports world has seen spectacular plays, inclement weather and equipment malfunctions. Here are some of the best sports photos from this past week.
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working to be...
- BYU football fall practice position preview:...
- Mendenhall comfortable with BYU's quarterback...
- An early look at the preseason Heisman hopefuls
- Recruiting central: Top 25 prep football...
- Fall camp position previews: BYU, Utah and...
- High school football: Louis Wong, Tony...
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face
- Brad Rock: BYU, Utah — married... 104
- Utah quarterback Travis Wilson cited... 97
- 'It all came together': 30 years later,... 94
- Back for an encore: Taysom Hill working... 49
- Playoffs ‘almost... 36
- Former Ute Zane Beadles donates... 27
- Rock On: Kyle Whittingham's happy face 25
- BYU cornerback Jordan Johnson has... 24