Americans spending 50 percent more on charitable donations than in 2009
Richard Drew, AP
According to a recent survey by Mint.com, a personal finance planning website, Americans spent close to 50 percent more on gifts and charitable donations in the first quarter of 2013 than they did in the first quarter of 2009.
According to the survey, average monthly donations have jumped from $73 in 2009 to $107 in 2013.
The survey, which ran on CNNMoney this morning, also indicated that Americans are spending more on everyday necessities such as groceries, health care and eating out. For Example, grocery spending is up 17 percent, with households spending an average $316 a month in the first quarter of this year (compared to $269 in the same period in 2009), while health care spending is up 30 percent.
Overall, in the first quarter of 2013 the average household spent roughly $4,220 per month according to the CNNMoney report. That figure is up from roughly $3,870 in the same period of 2009.
The study was based on the spending behaviors of roughly 2 million Mint.com account holders who granted the website access to their information. It reflects the spending priorities of the average American, and might suggest growing confidence in the state of the American economy.
JJ Feinauer is a graduate of Southern Virginia University. He is an intern for Moneywise. Email: email@example.com, Twitter: @johnorjj.
- The 10 best cities in America for job seekers...
- 10 cheapest colleges for out-of-state students
- Are schools preparing students for the new...
- Millennials are more depressed than older...
- Renovation Solutions: Top remodeling projects...
- How do Utah wages stack up nationally?
- These three countries offer insights into the...
- Balancing act: Survey: Millennials seek...
- Are schools preparing students for the... 11
- Clinton says childcare needs to be a... 10
- Banks fined more than $5B, to plead... 6
- Utah jobless rate holds steady at 3.4... 5
- Study: 23 pct of US adults with health... 3
- McDonald's CEO faces shareholders amid... 3
- Loans, taxes, regulations on small... 1
- US consumer prices up a slight 0.1... 1