Americans spending 50 percent more on charitable donations than in 2009
Richard Drew, AP
According to a recent survey by Mint.com, a personal finance planning website, Americans spent close to 50 percent more on gifts and charitable donations in the first quarter of 2013 than they did in the first quarter of 2009.
According to the survey, average monthly donations have jumped from $73 in 2009 to $107 in 2013.
The survey, which ran on CNNMoney this morning, also indicated that Americans are spending more on everyday necessities such as groceries, health care and eating out. For Example, grocery spending is up 17 percent, with households spending an average $316 a month in the first quarter of this year (compared to $269 in the same period in 2009), while health care spending is up 30 percent.
Overall, in the first quarter of 2013 the average household spent roughly $4,220 per month according to the CNNMoney report. That figure is up from roughly $3,870 in the same period of 2009.
The study was based on the spending behaviors of roughly 2 million Mint.com account holders who granted the website access to their information. It reflects the spending priorities of the average American, and might suggest growing confidence in the state of the American economy.
JJ Feinauer is a graduate of Southern Virginia University. He is an intern for Moneywise. Email: email@example.com, Twitter: @johnorjj.
- 14 frivolous lawsuits against Disney, James...
- Employers and job seekers might as well be...
- Balancing act: What is your ROI for seeking...
- Lower gas prices could mean economic impact...
- Americans still prefer male bosses
- Dave Ramsey says: Keep expectations clear...
- Most popular Halloween costumes
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the workplace....
- Americans still prefer male bosses 8
- Pay raises are more rare despite strong... 3
- Lower gas prices could mean economic... 3
- Facebook is now helping its female... 3
- Egg freezing is now a perk of the... 3
- Employers and job seekers might as well... 2
- The poorest of the poor in many Third... 1
- Utah jobless rate stays steady at 3.5... 1