BYU's Kyle Van Noy to appear on Pac-12 cover of Phil Steele's College Football Preview
BYU linebacker Kyle Van Noy will appear on a cover for Phil Steele's 2013 College Football Preview labeled on Steele's blog as "Pac-12," despite the Cougars having no affiliation with the Pac-12 conference.
The BYU football program is independent, while other sports such as basketball are affiliated with the West Coast Conference. The University of Utah, BYU's biggest rival in football, joined the Pac-12 in 2011.
The Pac-12 cover prominently features Brett Hundley of UCLA, Marquis Lee of USC and Kevin Hogan of Stanford, with Van Noy's picture appearing in an inset box.
In response to an inquiry about the cover by the Deseret News, Brandon M. Pertner, an assistant editor for Phil Steele Publications, said that Van Noy was chosen for the Pac-12 cover due in part to regional considerations.
"The problem is we really don’t have a set cover for BYU players to be featured on so we decided to include him on our Pac-12 cover, which in the past has been exclusively for Pac-12 players only," he said in an email. "Because of this issue and the overwhelming support for BYU football, we are now looking at doing a Mountain cover in the future that could feature BYU players and others more prominently."
Steele's 2013 preview will have 11 different covers featuring different conferences, schools or regions, and are being released two at a time via Steele's blog.
"In past years I have had 11 different covers that I ship out to different parts of the United States so each magazine has a regional flavor to it," Steele wrote on his blog.
The 2013 covers will feature Florida, Texas, Pac-12, Northwest, East Coast, Midwest, Alabama, Auburn, Armed Forces, SEC and Big 10.
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- BYU football: A look at the Cougars'...
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week, moves up...
- No. 18 BYU preparing for two Utah State...
- Things won't get any easier for disappointed...
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead, game to...
- Mike Sorensen: 5 reasons to be excited (or...
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on 'red-alert'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 280
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 87
- Things won't get any easier for... 64
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 50
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 37
- Dick Harmon: How will Utes slow down... 31
- Utah football pre-game day roundup:... 19