It is a collector's dream. The ’57 Chevy is beloved by automobile connoisseurs and, according to the National Insurance Crime Bureau, car thieves.
Of course, with so few on the road, the number of thefts isn't a big deal. Unless you are Dr. Phil.
"Last August, none other than television therapist Dr. Phil McGraw had to be consoled after learning that his ’57 Chevy, valued at $100,000, was stolen from a repair shop in Burbank, Calif.," NICB says in a press release. "It was one of 42 thefts of ’57 Chevys reported to law enforcement in 2012. Long the national leader in overall vehicle thefts, it was not surprising that Dr. Phil's ’57 Chevy was among California's theft statistics in 2012. Indeed, California posted the most ’57 Chevy thefts (1958-2012) with 6,700. It was followed by Texas (2,171), New York (1,286), Washington (909), and Missouri (705)."
Since 1958, about 23,250 ’57 Chevy automobiles have been stolen.
USA Today says it is easy to see why the car has such appeal: "The design is a classic, from its twin chrome rockets on the hood to the stubby tailfins out back."
But the NICB's latest "Hot Wheels" report says the most stolen car is the 1994 Honda Accord, followed by the 1998 Honda Civic, 2006 Ford pickup, 1991 Toyota Camry and 2000 Dodge Caravan.
Cars.com tells how if thieves are not taking whole cars, they are grabbing parts. "Lately, Honda Fit wheels have become a popular target, as one of Cars.com's own senior editors learned. Airbags and pickup trucks' tailgates are currently making headlines too," Cars.com says.
All of these tempting components are, fortunately, not on ’57 Chevys.
The worst days of the year for car theft are months away. The Car Connection quotes another look at car theft from the NICB, which says, "Halloween is the busiest holiday for car thieves," while New Year's Day is the next worst day.
By the way, Dr. Phil got his car back after police busted a ring of classic car thieves. No word if the thieves need therapy.
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum wage
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance primed...
- Balancing act: To keep employees, focus on...
- 3 reasons you should crowdfund your business
- Warehouse clubs: Where to find the savings
- 4 signs you need to quit your job to advance...
- The cost of child care trumps rent —...
- My view: Utah should not raise minimum... 42
- 40 percent tax on employer insurance... 20
- Warehouse clubs: Where to find the savings 8
- A multigenerational hit: Student debt... 3
- Balancing act: To keep employees, focus... 2
- Want to see if your relationship will... 2
- 11 guaranteed steps to cut family spending 1