WASHINGTON, D.C. — Two Utah students were honored in the nation’s capital Sunday for their volunteer service during the 18th annual presentation of the Prudential Spirit of Community Awards.
Steven Olsen, 18, of Ephraim and Dallin Bunnell, 14, of Lindon, along with 100 other top youth volunteers from across the country each received $1,000 awards and personal congratulations from actor Kevin Spacey and Olympic gold medalist Allyson Felix during a ceremony at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History.
The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards program named Steven and Dallin Utah's top high school and middle level youth volunteers in February.
Steven, a member of the Sanpete County 4-H and a senior at Manti High School, has devoted hundreds of volunteer hours to activities that have promoted and strengthened his county 4-H program and the annual county fair.
He also has helped teach free writing classes for young people, and recorded more than 150 books onto CDs to help Hispanic children improve their English skills. “When I see a need in my community, I try to make a difference,” he said.
Dallin, a member of the Utah County 4-H and an eighth-grader at Oak Canyon Junior High School, has been working since 2010 to conserve and improve nature areas at Utah Lake State Park. His service projects have included removing invasive vegetation, planting trees, and constructing and maintaining new boardwalks to provide river access for fishermen.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings University of...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- West Jordan councilwoman accuses mayor of...
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- State responds to Planned Parenthood claims
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 69
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- State responds to Planned Parenthood... 28
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings... 27
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20