WASHINGTON, D.C. — Two Utah students were honored in the nation’s capital Sunday for their volunteer service during the 18th annual presentation of the Prudential Spirit of Community Awards.
Steven Olsen, 18, of Ephraim and Dallin Bunnell, 14, of Lindon, along with 100 other top youth volunteers from across the country each received $1,000 awards and personal congratulations from actor Kevin Spacey and Olympic gold medalist Allyson Felix during a ceremony at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History.
The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards program named Steven and Dallin Utah's top high school and middle level youth volunteers in February.
Steven, a member of the Sanpete County 4-H and a senior at Manti High School, has devoted hundreds of volunteer hours to activities that have promoted and strengthened his county 4-H program and the annual county fair.
He also has helped teach free writing classes for young people, and recorded more than 150 books onto CDs to help Hispanic children improve their English skills. “When I see a need in my community, I try to make a difference,” he said.
Dallin, a member of the Utah County 4-H and an eighth-grader at Oak Canyon Junior High School, has been working since 2010 to conserve and improve nature areas at Utah Lake State Park. His service projects have included removing invasive vegetation, planting trees, and constructing and maintaining new boardwalks to provide river access for fishermen.
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Photo gallery: Deseret News Classic 5K
- Ogden man dies following U.S. 89 motorcycle...
- First-timers and veterans among thousands to...
- Man charged with murdering UTA worker found...
- If Mitt Romney endorsed Gary Johnson,... 69
- Planned Parenthood 'CTR' campaign draws... 64
- New rule sparks debate over teacher... 48
- Utah Democrat: Kaine 'kind of person we... 24
- Sanders urges Utah and other... 24
- San Juan County residents say 'doodah'... 21
- Shurtleff exonerated, but questions and... 18
- Utah Democrats see opportunity in... 17