WASHINGTON, D.C. — Two Utah students were honored in the nation’s capital Sunday for their volunteer service during the 18th annual presentation of the Prudential Spirit of Community Awards.
Steven Olsen, 18, of Ephraim and Dallin Bunnell, 14, of Lindon, along with 100 other top youth volunteers from across the country each received $1,000 awards and personal congratulations from actor Kevin Spacey and Olympic gold medalist Allyson Felix during a ceremony at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History.
The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards program named Steven and Dallin Utah's top high school and middle level youth volunteers in February.
Steven, a member of the Sanpete County 4-H and a senior at Manti High School, has devoted hundreds of volunteer hours to activities that have promoted and strengthened his county 4-H program and the annual county fair.
He also has helped teach free writing classes for young people, and recorded more than 150 books onto CDs to help Hispanic children improve their English skills. “When I see a need in my community, I try to make a difference,” he said.
Dallin, a member of the Utah County 4-H and an eighth-grader at Oak Canyon Junior High School, has been working since 2010 to conserve and improve nature areas at Utah Lake State Park. His service projects have included removing invasive vegetation, planting trees, and constructing and maintaining new boardwalks to provide river access for fishermen.
- Searchers locate missing family of Olympian...
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via online...
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake...
- Healing souls, healing a mountain
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley detective...
- Man seeks video of 1995 Oklahoma City...
- Draper man dies from injuries in house explosion
- Salt Lake bike share program doubles in size
- Federal land managers criticized over... 24
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 19
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged... 16
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 14
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- San Diego Comic-Con tells Salt Lake... 11
- BYU grad strikes gold teaching via... 10
- Satellites track drought-driven... 9