WASHINGTON, D.C. — Two Utah students were honored in the nation’s capital Sunday for their volunteer service during the 18th annual presentation of the Prudential Spirit of Community Awards.
Steven Olsen, 18, of Ephraim and Dallin Bunnell, 14, of Lindon, along with 100 other top youth volunteers from across the country each received $1,000 awards and personal congratulations from actor Kevin Spacey and Olympic gold medalist Allyson Felix during a ceremony at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History.
The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards program named Steven and Dallin Utah's top high school and middle level youth volunteers in February.
Steven, a member of the Sanpete County 4-H and a senior at Manti High School, has devoted hundreds of volunteer hours to activities that have promoted and strengthened his county 4-H program and the annual county fair.
He also has helped teach free writing classes for young people, and recorded more than 150 books onto CDs to help Hispanic children improve their English skills. “When I see a need in my community, I try to make a difference,” he said.
Dallin, a member of the Utah County 4-H and an eighth-grader at Oak Canyon Junior High School, has been working since 2010 to conserve and improve nature areas at Utah Lake State Park. His service projects have included removing invasive vegetation, planting trees, and constructing and maintaining new boardwalks to provide river access for fishermen.
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Husband says he didn't know about wife's...
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on continued...
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the long...
- Utah cyclist dies Sunday at the age of 23
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove garage;...
- Study: Fathers as likely as mothers to kill...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 97
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 74
- Utah attorney general encourages... 57
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24
- Moab's dilemma: Can recreation coexist... 23
- Southern Utah left wanting for water 11