WASHINGTON, D.C. — Two Utah students were honored in the nation’s capital Sunday for their volunteer service during the 18th annual presentation of the Prudential Spirit of Community Awards.
Steven Olsen, 18, of Ephraim and Dallin Bunnell, 14, of Lindon, along with 100 other top youth volunteers from across the country each received $1,000 awards and personal congratulations from actor Kevin Spacey and Olympic gold medalist Allyson Felix during a ceremony at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of Natural History.
The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards program named Steven and Dallin Utah's top high school and middle level youth volunteers in February.
Steven, a member of the Sanpete County 4-H and a senior at Manti High School, has devoted hundreds of volunteer hours to activities that have promoted and strengthened his county 4-H program and the annual county fair.
He also has helped teach free writing classes for young people, and recorded more than 150 books onto CDs to help Hispanic children improve their English skills. “When I see a need in my community, I try to make a difference,” he said.
Dallin, a member of the Utah County 4-H and an eighth-grader at Oak Canyon Junior High School, has been working since 2010 to conserve and improve nature areas at Utah Lake State Park. His service projects have included removing invasive vegetation, planting trees, and constructing and maintaining new boardwalks to provide river access for fishermen.
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Parents of teen who died in overdose hope...
- Mayor responds to pending harassment lawsuit...
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global audience,...
- Zion's trees are dying of old age
- Conservative group yanks TV ads targeting...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on GOP to...
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Lindsey Stirling reflects on global... 18
- Sen. Orrin Hatch calls HBO story on... 17
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 15
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 13
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 13
- Mia Love pushing higher education act 11
- Sen. Mike Lee pushing for vote on USA... 9