BYU men's soccer: Cougars face Fresno Fuego on the road in quick two-day turnaround
PROVO — The BYU men's soccer team plays its second game of the season Thursday against the Fresno Fuego after a quick two-day turnaround.
Following a 3-1 win Tuesday against the Orange County Strikers Football Club, Brigham Young University got set to travel to Fresno, Calif., to play in the home opener of the Fresno Fuego.
“Fresno is a great team, one of the top teams in our league,” BYU head coach Chris Watkins said. “There will be around 6,000 spectators, a great environment and great opportunity to keep this momentum going.”
The Fuego qualified for the second round of the U.S. Open Cup in 2012 and finished third in the Southwest Division of the PDL. BYU ended the 2012 season seventh in the division.
BYU's soccer account on Twitter, @byusoccer, and soccer.byu.edu will both have live updates of Thursday's match.
BYU competes in the USL Premier Development League, the fourth tier of the American soccer pyramid. The Brigham Young University Cougars have competed in the league since May 2003. BYU’s team was the first university-sponsored soccer program to purchase a franchise and compete at the higher level.
Brooke Arrington is a public relations major at Brigham Young University and the public relations coordinator for the BYU men's soccer team.
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'...
- Best of the West: Shifting teams around after...
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to the...
- BYU coach Dave Rose competing in coaches'...
- BYU guard Tyler Haws named CLASS award candidate
- Peavler: Can BYU football rise up to... 67
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 38
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 33
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 29
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'... 14
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the... 12