BYU men's soccer: Cougars face Fresno Fuego on the road in quick two-day turnaround
PROVO — The BYU men's soccer team plays its second game of the season Thursday against the Fresno Fuego after a quick two-day turnaround.
Following a 3-1 win Tuesday against the Orange County Strikers Football Club, Brigham Young University got set to travel to Fresno, Calif., to play in the home opener of the Fresno Fuego.
“Fresno is a great team, one of the top teams in our league,” BYU head coach Chris Watkins said. “There will be around 6,000 spectators, a great environment and great opportunity to keep this momentum going.”
The Fuego qualified for the second round of the U.S. Open Cup in 2012 and finished third in the Southwest Division of the PDL. BYU ended the 2012 season seventh in the division.
BYU's soccer account on Twitter, @byusoccer, and soccer.byu.edu will both have live updates of Thursday's match.
BYU competes in the USL Premier Development League, the fourth tier of the American soccer pyramid. The Brigham Young University Cougars have competed in the league since May 2003. BYU’s team was the first university-sponsored soccer program to purchase a franchise and compete at the higher level.
Brooke Arrington is a public relations major at Brigham Young University and the public relations coordinator for the BYU men's soccer team.
- Top 25 QB seasons in BYU history, part 2
- College football countdown No. 39: BYU...
- BYU football: Certain games on the schedule...
- 10 local storylines to follow as NFL training...
- Rock On: Props for Mitt and 'Tag
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise; is BYU...
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says it...
- BYU basketball officially adds transfer guard...
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 105
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 55
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 54
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 50
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 36
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 36
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 23
- Backfield to the future: Hill, Williams... 13