USU track: Aggies head to Texas for 2013 WAC Outdoor Championships
LOGAN, Utah — Utah State's men's and women's track and field teams travel to Maverick Stadium in Arlington, Texas, for the 2013 Western Athletic Conference Outdoor Track and Field Championships hosted by UT-Arlington on Wednesday through Saturday, May 8-11.
USU's women will defend its 2012 WAC Outdoor title as sophomore Jodi Williams (high jump), as well as juniors Bryce Hall (discus) and Kyle McKenna (10,000m) will defend their 2012 individual WAC titles. Utah State's men will look to avenge its second-place finish to Idaho last season.
"Our goal is to improve on what we did during indoors and I think based on what we've been able to accomplish during the outdoor season up until now, I think that is a great goal for them," Aggie head coach Gregg Gensel said. "I'd like to say we are an improved team from what we did during indoors but we will participate in the championships and then we will know."
Action will kick off Wednesday at 9 a.m MT with the multi-events and they are set to conclude Thursday at approximately 2 p.m. Friday's and Saturday's action will begin at 10 a.m. with the field events, while the running events will begin at 3 p.m. and 4 p.m., respectively. The championship is set to conclude with the women's and men's 4x400m relays at 6:25 p.m. and 6:35, respectively.
Sophomore Chari Hawkins and freshman Briton Page also look to lead the Aggies at the conference tournament as they represent Utah State in the top 25 of their respective events. Hawkins set the school record in the women's heptathlon (5,441 points) and ranks 14th in the nation, while Page ranks 24th in the 800m with an altitude adjusted time of 1:48.89.
As a team, the USU men and women rank eighth and 14th in the Mountain Region, as well as 133rd and 120th in the nation, respectively.
Live results will be available for fans to follow the action by clicking the "Live Results" link on USU's athletic website. A complete meet schedule will also be available at the league's website.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- UCLA agrees to 15-year deal with Under Armour
- Column: Baylor should pull plug on its...
- Amy Donaldson: Successful softball season at...
- Kyle Collinsworth to work out for Minnesota...
- Morning links: Tim Lincecum to pitch for the...
- Utah State’s home football game against...
- Adam Mangum: Picking the top 10 basketball...
- Utah TE Evan Moeai indicates via social media...
- ESPN's Jake Trotter says it's 'Big 12... 145
- Morning links: Broncos like Devontae... 67
- Brad Rock: BYU-Utah hoops are back... 48
- Rivalry renewed: BYU, Utah agree to a... 47
- Brad Rock: This is the Big 12 —of... 41
- Morning links: BYU shirt summits Mt.... 37
- Video: 100 days until college football... 27
- Why can't we be friends? BYU-Utah fans... 27