Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
WEST VALLEY CITY — A Salem, Ore., man is currently being held in an Oregon jail awaiting court proceedings on charges that he took an off-duty West Valley City police officer's gun and fired it at his residence.
Andrew Goss was taking care of his grandparents' home in Salem in April. On April 1, Goss met Shannon Jeffrey Farrell at the Macleay Country Inn, 8362 Macleay Road, Salem, according to a statement from the Marion County, Ore., Sheriff's Office.
Farrell went back to Goss' grandparents' house early on the morning of April 2. While there, the two got into an argument, said department spokesman Donald Thomson. During the ensuing fight, Goss told investigators that Farrell hit him and then grabbed his police department-issued .40-caliber Glock handgun that was sitting on a nearby table, he said.
As Farrell was driving away, neighbors reported hearing four to five shots, Thomson said. But after driving a short distance, detectives say Farrell turned around, drove back to Goss' residence and fired two more rounds. No one was injured.
Police arrested Farrell at his home a couple of hours later. The gun was not found, Thomson said.
According to a news release from Oregon, Goss has been a West Valley police officer for about four years and was most recently assigned to the patrol division.
Farrell was charged at the Marion County Courthouse with attempted assault, theft and unlawful use of a weapon.
- The story of a fish, a river and what's ahead...
- Judge: Biological father will share custody...
- Local religious leaders urge support for...
- Cities, state battle panhandling through the...
- Lehi airman pulls off 'Operation Surprise'...
- Honeyville man, 39, identified as avalanche...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Body of man, 51, discovered outside Cedar City
- Advocates rally and 'roar' for... 55
- National, local businesses file briefs... 53
- Family of BYU student hit by car say... 40
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 32
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 26
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 22
- Prison relocation resolution passes House 19