BYU softball: Manuma and Almond earn Player of the Week honors
PROVO, Utah — Junior first baseman Katie Manuma garnered her first Pacific Coast Softball Conference Player of the Week honor, while junior pitcher Tori Almond grabbed her second Pitcher of the Week award to close out conference play.
BYU swept SUU in a doubleheader Tuesday, before clinching the PCSC Championship against Saint Mary's on Friday and Saturday to earn an automatic bid to its ninth-straight postseason appearance.
Manuma hit a .643 clip in the in-state matchup against Southern Utah and conference finale against Saint Mary’s. She helped lead the team to a 6-0 record, scoring five runs and recording six RBIs. Against Saint Mary’s on Saturday, Manuma helped BYU clinch the PCSC Conference Championship after hitting 5-for-5 on the day with two runs scored and two RBIs. Manuma also earned two wins against the Gaels from the mound.
Almond highlighted last week with her first career no-hitter against Saint Mary’s in game two on Saturday. In three starts last week, one against SUU and two against Saint Mary's, Almond collected a 3-0 record with a 0.39 ERA and held opponents to just a .145 batting average. In 18.0 innings pitched, she gave up just one earned run and struck out 14 for her second PCSC POW nod of the season.
Manuma and Almond are two of the team's six juniors who have won conference championships in each of its last three years in different conferences. In 2011 the team won the conference championship in its last season in the Mountain West Conference. In 2012, BYU went to the Western Athletic Conference tournament and defeated conference-leading Hawai'i to earn conference championship honors and an automatic bid to the NCAAs.
BYU will close out its season this Saturday in the Deseret First Duel against Utah at Gail Miller Field at 1:30 p.m. MDT. The team will also find out its playoff position on Sunday, May 12, at 10 p.m. ET on ESPNU.
Jamie Morris is the softball sports information director for BYU Athletic Communications.
- Midseason recap and awards for BYU and Utah
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Booker-ing ram and broken dreams: Midseason...
- Report: Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman to...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU preparing...
- BYU defense working hard to catch up to the...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 36
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 33
- BYU football: Jaren Hall, the son of... 15
- BYU, Nevada both struggling in pass... 13
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some... 13