1. I hope you did extra laundry last night so you could have a day off today. By the way, where is my blue shirt?
2. Let’s hurry and open your presents so I can watch the game.
3. I’m glad you like it. You know, it was hard to find a hat that would look good with your gray hair.
4. Boy, I sure wish someone would give me a special day.
5. They were out of plus sizes, so I got you this vacuum cleaner instead.
6. We got you a special treat: Ultimate fighting tickets for the whole family, on the front row!
7. Don’t worry about the dishes, you can do them tomorrow.
8. Hey, you liked it when I traced my hand and gave it to you as a child.
9. Is this a good time to tell you I’ve missed some payments on the loan you co-signed?
10. We chipped in and got you this coupon for laser hair removal!
Jay Evensen, associate editorial page editor, is the author of the weekly feature “Second Thoughts.”
- 20 of the most influential and innovative...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Lessons learned from...
- Lois M. Collins: School start times are...
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it...
- School fees: Is Utah really family friendly?
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do better...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Same-sex...
- Letter: Police brutality
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb:... 76
- Letter: Police brutality 56
- Whitt Flora: It's time to put U.S.... 35
- Robert J. Samuelson: Do Democrats do it... 27
- A. Scott Anderson: The world needs... 26
- Richard Davis: The State Board can do... 24
- Join the discussion: Is Rick Perry's... 23
- In our opinion: To be vigilant,... 23