1. I hope you did extra laundry last night so you could have a day off today. By the way, where is my blue shirt?
2. Let’s hurry and open your presents so I can watch the game.
3. I’m glad you like it. You know, it was hard to find a hat that would look good with your gray hair.
4. Boy, I sure wish someone would give me a special day.
5. They were out of plus sizes, so I got you this vacuum cleaner instead.
6. We got you a special treat: Ultimate fighting tickets for the whole family, on the front row!
7. Don’t worry about the dishes, you can do them tomorrow.
8. Hey, you liked it when I traced my hand and gave it to you as a child.
9. Is this a good time to tell you I’ve missed some payments on the loan you co-signed?
10. We chipped in and got you this coupon for laser hair removal!
Jay Evensen, associate editorial page editor, is the author of the weekly feature “Second Thoughts.”
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules...
- Letter: A worldwide message
- John Florez: Education is 'app' to change...
- In our opinion: Becky Lockhart's tributes are...
- Letter: No end in sight
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the Union...
- A. Scott Anderson: Taking Utah into Top 10...
- In our opinion: Obama's State of the... 70
- Jay Evensen: Obama must make religious... 54
- In our opinion: How immigration reform... 43
- 6 important takeaways for families in... 37
- In our opinion: Obama's broadband... 36
- In our opinion: Supreme Court rules... 33
- Jay Evensen: Leave free tuition... 31
- Letter: Not so lazy 31