1. I hope you did extra laundry last night so you could have a day off today. By the way, where is my blue shirt?
2. Let’s hurry and open your presents so I can watch the game.
3. I’m glad you like it. You know, it was hard to find a hat that would look good with your gray hair.
4. Boy, I sure wish someone would give me a special day.
5. They were out of plus sizes, so I got you this vacuum cleaner instead.
6. We got you a special treat: Ultimate fighting tickets for the whole family, on the front row!
7. Don’t worry about the dishes, you can do them tomorrow.
8. Hey, you liked it when I traced my hand and gave it to you as a child.
9. Is this a good time to tell you I’ve missed some payments on the loan you co-signed?
10. We chipped in and got you this coupon for laser hair removal!
Jay Evensen, associate editorial page editor, is the author of the weekly feature “Second Thoughts.”
- 10 things you never knew about the FBI
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah...
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook for...
- Robert Bennett: Hamas and its financial...
- My view: Balancing personal conviction and...
- Frank Pignanelli & LaVarr Webb: Re-enactment...
- Letter: Policy disagreement
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have voted for
- Lawrence and Windsor won't trump Utah... 109
- Mary Barker: The Romney I may have... 72
- Stuart Reid: Translations of religious... 61
- Dan Liljenquist: Religious liberty and... 52
- In our opinion: The long-term outlook... 46
- My view: Balancing personal conviction... 45
- Letter: Policy disagreement 45
- In our opinion: Use market forces and... 33