"WHAT I LOVE ABOUT YOU, MOM," by Kate Marshall and David Marshall, Plume, $14, 80 pages (nf)
A husband-and-wife team looking to create a unique, personal and thoughtful Mother’s Day gift came up with "What I Love About You, Mom." More substantial than a greeting card and less involved than a scrapbook, it is a guided journal paying homage to mothers.
The do-it-yourself tribute book provides writing prompts, checklists, and pages for photographs, drawings and mementos, all designed to capture memories and express gratitude and love.
The book is the sixth in a list of journals written by Kate and David Marshall, who strive to help individuals and families share their stories and celebrate their relationships.
The journal features five sections: Early Days, Admiring You, Appreciating You, Enjoying Us, and My Wishes for You, plus blank pages to provide additional messages or information. The book is so thorough that the extra pages are hardly needed. Geared especially toward mothers with older children and grandchildren, the journal can be adapted to moms of any age.
Prompts include expressions such as the following:
• I hope I’ve inherited half of your . . .
• Here’s a picture of us when I was young . . .
• One of the best parenting tips you gave or modeled was . . .
• Of the many gifts you’ve given me over the years, this one stands out . . .
• Here’s something I wish we could do more often . . .
Gift certificates, presidential awards, and life lesson lists are valued additions to the book, while pages with superfluous checklists or sample patterns with which to fill in a “box of hugs” seem more like filler. Overall, the comprehensive journal, when filled with love, promises to be a treasured keepsake.
More recently-released books about mothers
Gail Sears is an experienced teacher and public speaker with a love for literature. She is the mother of five children and resides in Georgia.
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for family...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Netflix has a different take on modern...
- Tabernacle hosts annual LDS Latino Christmas...
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million viewers
- 4 recently released LDS picture books
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound of...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 15
- TV Review: Broadway wins in live 'Sound... 12
- 'Sound of Music' alive for 18.5 million... 12
- 'Sound of Music' hit a high note for... 8
- The Killers collaborates with Owen... 7
- Saving Africa? New book casts harsh... 6
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 6
- Faith sustained author through... 5