Book review: 'Confessions of a Cereal Mother' shares the good and the bad of being a mother
Rachel McClellan is a typical mother of four children — if there is such a thing as a typical mom of four. In her book, "Confessions of a Cereal Mother: True Stories to Let Every Mother Know She's Not Alone in the Craziness," the mother of two boys and two girls shares experiences that have defined motherhood for her and may validate — or frighten — others who are considering entering the field of labor.
From the beginning, the author makes it clear that being a "mommy" is the most important job she has ever had. The work is not glamorous and the pay is pathetic, but as she states in the introduction, "My name is Mommy (and) ... I was willing to give up my given name for the unknown infant lying in my arms." What follows are a series of stories that will entertain some, gross out others and probably make the majority of readers realize just how much a mother can love the little people she is sent to raise.
McClellan invites readers to share experiences with their children — like a day at the beach of a local lake where children have to dodge broken glass in search of fun in the water and sand. There are also numerous times — maybe too often — when little children are not feeling well and leave their mark (in multiple ways) on the home and family. Each event is shared with love and a large dash of humor, but reality is also a constant companion.
Written in an easy-to-read style, "Confessions of a Cereal Mother" is full of true-to-life adventures and the challenges young children can bring. It is also jam-packed with the love a mother has for her little ones and the myriad things she will do to help them grow. There is no doubt, after reading this book, that the author loves her children. McClellan is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and lives in Idaho with her family.
More recently-released books about mothers
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Ben Barnes, Katherine Heigl in tune in...
- Sutton Foster promises 'an intimate look at...
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid worst...
- 5 takeaways from a punch-less summer box office
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Study: Action-packed TV might make you snack...
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 8
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Linda & Richard Eyre: How media could... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its... 2
- 'Guardians' stays atop cinemas amid... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1