Book review: 'Mom Rules' provides ideas, support and resources for mothers
Hospitals usually provide new moms with a blanket and hat to keep their newborns warm. A few formula samples are also included.
However, the most important job in the world unfortunately does not come with instructions — certainly not a guidebook or rulebook.
Soni and Treion Muller of Farmington have tried to fill that void with "Mom Rules" because they believe even superheroes need help sometimes.
Made up of 82 rules, "Mom Rules" describes what moms should know, what they should say and what they should do.
Each rule, such as Rule 14, "Learn to appreciate graffiti," comes with advice, a personal story outlining the principle of the rule, and a "helping hands section" that provides useful links as well as websites and blogs to learn more about the rule. Treion Muller, author of "Dad Rules," also adds a few suggestions on how dads can be included in many of the rules for moms.
This book is a great gift for new moms who are looking for guidance and suggestions. However, even seasoned moms can pick up a tip here and there or feel reaffirmed because they were following the rules — and did not even know it!
Additionally, this book certainly does not cater only to mothers of newborns. For example, Rule 17 says, "Remember, it's your daughters wedding, NOT yours. And Rule 18, "Keep your husband out of the wedding plans altogether," shows the extent and breadth of this book.
Each rule is short and sweet, and the passage rarely exceeds a page. This is a weakness as some topics, such as peaceful dispute resolution and communicating effectively and constructively with children, are important and more consequential than others and deserve more than a casual mention.
Overall, though, this is a book that offers guidance to all kinds of moms.
More recently-released books about mothers
Alicia Cunningham is a graduate of Brigham Young University and George Mason School of Law. A mother of four, she teaches American Government and Intellectual Property Law at Neumont University. She blogs at bloggingonbooks.wordpress.com.
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night trade...
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead of...
- BET Awards full of Prince tributes and...
- Poor ending kills otherwise decent shark...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Life, choices and...
- 'Resurgence' is a weak payoff for fans of...
- West Jordan announces road closures for 4th...
- Hale Center Theater Orem to stage 'Xanadu' to...
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Life, choices... 2
- 'Resurgence' is a weak payoff for fans... 2
- BET Awards full of Prince tributes and... 1
- Book review: 'Conspiracy at Carthage'... 1
- Magic land Serge Ibaka in draft-night... 0
- Pistorius shown in TV interview ahead... 0
- Poor ending kills otherwise decent... 0
- West Jordan announces road closures for... 0