Michael Anderson, Deseret News
KAYSVILLE — Residential homebuilder and Destination Homes President Brad Wilson plans to develop 83 acres of farmland owned by the Hill family and turn it into a new neighborhood on the west side of Kaysville.
“The housing market has been terrific for the last year or so and continues to get stronger,” Wilson said.
The Hills Farms community will be built along 200 N. Angel Street. The community will have green spaces, parks, walking and biking trails linking neighborhoods, tree-lined streets, picket fences, front porches, and it will have easy access to local conveniences and shopping, he said. The architecture will reflect the historical styles and heritage of the area.
"We're very excited,” Wilson said. “The housing market does go in cycles. We're just sort of catching the wave of this next cycle right now."
The 300 homes in Hill Farms will be priced between $200,000 and $600,000, comparable to Daybreak in South Jordan. The lot sizes will range from a quarter acre to a half acre.
The U.S. Census Bureau reported a 7 percent increase in housing starts nationwide in April — the fastest growth rate since the 2008 recession.
"We've got a ways to go still, and I think this is really the beginning of a housing recovery," Wilson said.
Doris Giede-Stevenson, chairwoman of Weber State University's economics department, said housing prices are still 30 percent below the peak nationwide, and the current demand and rising prices may be reminiscent of the housing bubble that led into the recession.
She said the increased building, buying and selling are positive signs.
"I think that you want to differentiate who's buying the homes," Giede-Stevenson said. "And it seems that mortgage applications are up, and so traditional homebuyers are back in the market."
The homes will be available for purchase in early fall. Destination Homes said it already has hundreds of people on the waiting list for the Hill Farms development.
Contributing: Viviane Vo-Duc
- John Jones died in a cave, but his widow...
- 'Our lives have been better for having her,'...
- Utah family's adoption of Ethiopian girl...
- Ogden home burglarized while family attends...
- Why Utahns are some of the biggest spenders,...
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as national...
- Landslide remediation plans emerge amid...
- How do I know if I'm ovulating?
- As Ferguson verdict is read, protesters... 68
- Prayers, protests raised in Utah as... 34
- Utah to pay plaintiffs in marriage... 33
- 12-year-old girl dies in accidental... 29
- Ogden attorney sues Weber School... 27
- GOP plans to sue over Count My Vote... 23
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 20
- 'It can happen to anyone': Utah... 20