Michael Anderson, Deseret News
KAYSVILLE — Residential homebuilder and Destination Homes President Brad Wilson plans to develop 83 acres of farmland owned by the Hill family and turn it into a new neighborhood on the west side of Kaysville.
“The housing market has been terrific for the last year or so and continues to get stronger,” Wilson said.
The Hills Farms community will be built along 200 N. Angel Street. The community will have green spaces, parks, walking and biking trails linking neighborhoods, tree-lined streets, picket fences, front porches, and it will have easy access to local conveniences and shopping, he said. The architecture will reflect the historical styles and heritage of the area.
"We're very excited,” Wilson said. “The housing market does go in cycles. We're just sort of catching the wave of this next cycle right now."
The 300 homes in Hill Farms will be priced between $200,000 and $600,000, comparable to Daybreak in South Jordan. The lot sizes will range from a quarter acre to a half acre.
The U.S. Census Bureau reported a 7 percent increase in housing starts nationwide in April — the fastest growth rate since the 2008 recession.
"We've got a ways to go still, and I think this is really the beginning of a housing recovery," Wilson said.
Doris Giede-Stevenson, chairwoman of Weber State University's economics department, said housing prices are still 30 percent below the peak nationwide, and the current demand and rising prices may be reminiscent of the housing bubble that led into the recession.
She said the increased building, buying and selling are positive signs.
"I think that you want to differentiate who's buying the homes," Giede-Stevenson said. "And it seems that mortgage applications are up, and so traditional homebuyers are back in the market."
The homes will be available for purchase in early fall. Destination Homes said it already has hundreds of people on the waiting list for the Hill Farms development.
Contributing: Viviane Vo-Duc
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' cast...
- Salt Lake Marathon changes owners, course and...
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Salt Lake's record-setting convention kicks...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 106
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 88
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 76
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 26
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24