Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News.
EAST MILLCREEK — Skyline High School has claimed the top Utah spot in the latest high school rankings by The Daily Beast, but overall the state failed to crack the top 200 schools.
A total of 15 Utah schools were included in the rankings, which highlight the best 2,000 public high schools in the nation based on graduation rates and students' college- and career-readiness. Granite School District's Skyline High School led the state pack, coming in at No. 205 nationally.
Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley said Skyline has a longstanding reputation for college preparation. He said the school emphasizes participation in advanced placement classes and continues to host a strong international baccalaureate program.
"I think there's a high academic standard there and it's something we're very proud of in Granite School District," he said.
According to the rankings, Skyline High School has an average ACT score of 23.9, an average SAT score of 1820 and 95 percent of its students are college bound. It was followed in the Utah rankings by Park City High School, which was ranked 397 nationally.
Of the 15 Utah schools to make the top 2,000, five are charter schools: InTech Collegiate High School ranked 793rd; Utah Academy of the Sciences ranked 1,014th; the Academy for Math, Engineering and Science, or AMES, ranked 1,081st; Itineris Early College High School ranked 1,517th; and Karl G. Maeser Preparatory Academy ranked 1,966th.
Davis High ranked 972nd; Lone Peak High 1,231st; Bountiful High 1,375th; Pleasant Grove High 1,680th; Hillcrest High 1,704th; Viewmont High 1,887th; Woods Cross High 1,893rd; and West High 1,905th.
The Daily Beast's report comes two weeks after the annual ranking of public high schools by U.S. News. In those rankings, Utah was led by InTech Collegiate High School, AMES and Logan High School, though no Utah school succeeded at earning a "Gold Medal" or top-500 distinction.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Store decor company to expand in Cedar City
- Utah State aviation student dead after plane...
- Twila Van Leer: My nomination of 3 Mormon...
- Sculptures created to warn about sugar...
- Man gets jail time for attempted recruitment...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 27
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14