Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News.
EAST MILLCREEK — Skyline High School has claimed the top Utah spot in the latest high school rankings by The Daily Beast, but overall the state failed to crack the top 200 schools.
A total of 15 Utah schools were included in the rankings, which highlight the best 2,000 public high schools in the nation based on graduation rates and students' college- and career-readiness. Granite School District's Skyline High School led the state pack, coming in at No. 205 nationally.
Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley said Skyline has a longstanding reputation for college preparation. He said the school emphasizes participation in advanced placement classes and continues to host a strong international baccalaureate program.
"I think there's a high academic standard there and it's something we're very proud of in Granite School District," he said.
According to the rankings, Skyline High School has an average ACT score of 23.9, an average SAT score of 1820 and 95 percent of its students are college bound. It was followed in the Utah rankings by Park City High School, which was ranked 397 nationally.
Of the 15 Utah schools to make the top 2,000, five are charter schools: InTech Collegiate High School ranked 793rd; Utah Academy of the Sciences ranked 1,014th; the Academy for Math, Engineering and Science, or AMES, ranked 1,081st; Itineris Early College High School ranked 1,517th; and Karl G. Maeser Preparatory Academy ranked 1,966th.
Davis High ranked 972nd; Lone Peak High 1,231st; Bountiful High 1,375th; Pleasant Grove High 1,680th; Hillcrest High 1,704th; Viewmont High 1,887th; Woods Cross High 1,893rd; and West High 1,905th.
The Daily Beast's report comes two weeks after the annual ranking of public high schools by U.S. News. In those rankings, Utah was led by InTech Collegiate High School, AMES and Logan High School, though no Utah school succeeded at earning a "Gold Medal" or top-500 distinction.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13
- Provo transit project set to begin,... 13
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint... 11
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes... 11
- Brewvies wants judge to stop DABC from... 10
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to... 10