Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News.
EAST MILLCREEK — Skyline High School has claimed the top Utah spot in the latest high school rankings by The Daily Beast, but overall the state failed to crack the top 200 schools.
A total of 15 Utah schools were included in the rankings, which highlight the best 2,000 public high schools in the nation based on graduation rates and students' college- and career-readiness. Granite School District's Skyline High School led the state pack, coming in at No. 205 nationally.
Granite School District spokesman Ben Horsley said Skyline has a longstanding reputation for college preparation. He said the school emphasizes participation in advanced placement classes and continues to host a strong international baccalaureate program.
"I think there's a high academic standard there and it's something we're very proud of in Granite School District," he said.
According to the rankings, Skyline High School has an average ACT score of 23.9, an average SAT score of 1820 and 95 percent of its students are college bound. It was followed in the Utah rankings by Park City High School, which was ranked 397 nationally.
Of the 15 Utah schools to make the top 2,000, five are charter schools: InTech Collegiate High School ranked 793rd; Utah Academy of the Sciences ranked 1,014th; the Academy for Math, Engineering and Science, or AMES, ranked 1,081st; Itineris Early College High School ranked 1,517th; and Karl G. Maeser Preparatory Academy ranked 1,966th.
Davis High ranked 972nd; Lone Peak High 1,231st; Bountiful High 1,375th; Pleasant Grove High 1,680th; Hillcrest High 1,704th; Viewmont High 1,887th; Woods Cross High 1,893rd; and West High 1,905th.
The Daily Beast's report comes two weeks after the annual ranking of public high schools by U.S. News. In those rankings, Utah was led by InTech Collegiate High School, AMES and Logan High School, though no Utah school succeeded at earning a "Gold Medal" or top-500 distinction.
- 3 officers file sex harassment lawsuit...
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage license...
- Mom whose unbuckled child died was cited for...
- Utah bachelor lets sister set him up on 31...
- Mia Love paying back money spent on...
- BYU homework system crashes, stressing out...
- President Uchtdorf to preside at Clark...
- SAGE scores, 2015: Top Utah schools in...
- New law helps Utah avoid marriage... 87
- BYU student health plan exemption expires 55
- Popular Provo teacher imprisoned for... 47
- Mia Love paying back money spent on... 47
- Does coal have a future in Utah? Should... 27
- Bishop, Chaffetz say EPA knew spill... 15
- $1M in heroin found in 'complex' hidden... 12
- Salt Lake County district attorney... 9