Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — Utah's governor and an emeritus LDS Church general authority will be honored by Salt Lake Community College at its commencement this week.
SLCC will hold its graduation ceremony at 4:30 p.m. Thursday at the Maverik Center, 3200 S. Decker Lake Drive, West Valley City.
The college will present Gov. Gary Herbert and H. David Burton with honorary doctorate degrees. Burton served as presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1995 until 2012.
Derreck Kayongo, founder of the Global Soap Project, will provide the commencement address. A finalist for CNN’s Hero award, Kayongo is an African refugee who founded a nongovernmental organization that recycles gently used soaps — mostly from hotels — and distributes them to areas of need.
The Global Soap Project has distributed new soap in 23 countries to improve health for disaster victims, refugees, and children and mothers living in extreme poverty.
Mabel Langford and Zane Holmquist have been named SLCC’s Distinguished Alumni. Holmquist is executive chef and food and beverage director at Deer Valley’s Stein Eriksen Lodge. Langford is a registered nurse and a founding member and president of the Rotary Club of Hispano-Latinos of Salt Lake City.
Karen Kwan has been named the 2014 SLCC Distinguished Faculty Lecturer.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 15