Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
TAYLORSVILLE — Utah's governor and an emeritus LDS Church general authority will be honored by Salt Lake Community College at its commencement this week.
SLCC will hold its graduation ceremony at 4:30 p.m. Thursday at the Maverik Center, 3200 S. Decker Lake Drive, West Valley City.
The college will present Gov. Gary Herbert and H. David Burton with honorary doctorate degrees. Burton served as presiding bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from 1995 until 2012.
Derreck Kayongo, founder of the Global Soap Project, will provide the commencement address. A finalist for CNN’s Hero award, Kayongo is an African refugee who founded a nongovernmental organization that recycles gently used soaps — mostly from hotels — and distributes them to areas of need.
The Global Soap Project has distributed new soap in 23 countries to improve health for disaster victims, refugees, and children and mothers living in extreme poverty.
Mabel Langford and Zane Holmquist have been named SLCC’s Distinguished Alumni. Holmquist is executive chef and food and beverage director at Deer Valley’s Stein Eriksen Lodge. Langford is a registered nurse and a founding member and president of the Rotary Club of Hispano-Latinos of Salt Lake City.
Karen Kwan has been named the 2014 SLCC Distinguished Faculty Lecturer.
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- 3 'scary' medical problems for kids
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 114
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 44
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 32
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS... 16