VCBO/SMITHGROUP JJR Architecture
SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah’s S.J. Quinney College of Law has received a generous donation as it prepares to break ground on its new home next month.
The Alternative Visions Fund of the Chicago Community Trust has announced a $4.5 million gift to the college. The donation will help promote environmentally responsible construction and supports the college’s goal of obtaining certification as Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design platinum, a rating that no existing law school facility has yet attained. The gift includes $500,000 in matching funds to encourage others to contribute to this effort to make the new law school building more sustainable.
“We are so grateful for the continued support of the Alternative Visions Fund, whose partner funds have a lengthy history of support for the College of Law’s Stegner Center,” said interim Dean Bob Adler.
The school’s new building incorporates sustainable features including efficient irrigation, storm water retention, site landscaping designed to accommodate low-water-use vegetation, and easy access to mass transportation. The building also reduces energy consumption through enhanced exterior insulation, fixed exterior sunshades and insulating glass that emits low levels of heat.
The building also incorporates energy-efficient systems, such as a “chilled beam” heating and air conditioning system, enhanced lighting controls that include occupancy and daylight sensors, and on-site and off-site solar power generation. The building also uses LED lighting and recycled materials.
The new facility is expected to be ready for the 2015-16 academic year.
- Once paralyzed, Mormon missionary heading...
- Pleasant Grove pizza manager arrested for...
- Candlelight vigil held for critically injured...
- About Utah: They're best in the world
- What does a letter grade mean for my child's...
- Two arrested in SLC homicide investigation
- Driver allegedly causes accident on I-15,...
- Former top deputy in Utah attorney general...
- A year later, a look at the Utah... 91
- Sugar House man intends to sue police,... 36
- Anti-police protests tie up traffic on... 33
- What does a letter grade mean for my... 18
- Couples celebrate one-year anniversary... 18
- Audit: Utah still relies heavily on... 16
- Utah lawmakers recommend lowest-cost... 16
- Dispatchers answer man's repeated 911... 11