Man arrested in Millcreek has violent, drug-related past
MILLCREEK — Three people were arrested, including a man who had a federal warrant out for his arrest, after fleeing from police Monday.
About 10:15 p.m., an officer spotted a vehicle with four people near 3300 South and 900 East. When he checked the car's license plate with his computer, he learned that it had been reported as stolen, said Unified Police Lt. Steve Shreeve.
The officer followed the vehicle for some distance before the driver got nervous and sped off, Shreeve said. The officer did not chase the car. But about a block later, the four occupants bailed out of the vehicle, allowing the car to roll into a fence, and they tried to run.
Two men and a woman were arrested immediately by backup officers who had positioned themselves in the area, Shreeve said. A police K-9 found the fourth person hiding nearby about 30 minutes later.
The driver, Daniel Lemons, 29, was arrested for investigation of possession of a stolen vehicle and fleeing. Two others were also arrested for fleeing. The woman was released.
Lemons also had a current warrant out for his arrest for a federal indictment. According to court records, Lemons was caught shoplifting at a Wal-Mart, 3180 S. 5600 West, in January. During his arrest, Lemons allegedly resisted officers and kept reaching for something in his waistband. Officers used a Taser to bring Lemons under control. They then found a loaded semi-automatic handgun in his waistband where he was reaching, according to court documents.
In 2011, Lemons was charged and convicted in 1st District Court of aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury, endangerment of a child and several counts of drug possession. According to court records, Lemons attacked another man with a pick-ax. Witnesses told police he also "appeared to be hallucinating and speaking to some invisible persons" during the attack. When he was arrested, he lay on the ground with his arms spread out and screamed loudly as police approached him. He later said he had consumed LSD, methamphetamine, Ecstasy and marijuana. Lemons was sentenced to one year in the Cache County Jail.
- Idea for Burt's Bees land to become park...
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Teen who spends his nights taking care of his...
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered assurances...
- Police: Body of man missing since March found
- Oldest giraffe in North America dies at Hogle...
- Zion's Hidden Canyon Trail to close for...
- Are Utahns tiring of Mitt Romney... 97
- Utah and 10 states sue Obama... 39
- Teacher on leave after telling students... 32
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 18
- National conservative group backs... 18
- Hatch steadfast in holding up Supreme... 17
- South Jordan's FrontRunner-oriented... 10
- Utah lawsuit challenges porn filter fees 9