LOGAN, Utah — Utah State University Vice President and Director of Athletics Scott Barnes announced Monday that Carissa Kalaba resigned her position as head softball coach effective immediately.
"It has been an honor to be a part of the Aggie family these past four years," Kalabas said. "I appreciate the athletic department understanding and supporting my personal reasons for leaving. I would like to thank Scott Barnes and Jana Doggett for their support. I will carry many fond memories of Utah State as I move forward."
Kalaba ended her four seasons at the helm of the Aggies with a 63-151 (.294) overall record and 22-60 (.268) conference mark. USU went 11-43 during the 2013 season, including going 5-16 in Western Athletic Conference play, finishing in eighth place.
"We appreciate coach Kalaba's efforts the past four years and we wish her the very best in the future," Barnes said.
In Kalaba's first season at Utah State in 2010, the Aggies notched a 20-30 record for the program's most wins since 2005. In 2011, USU finished in fifth place in the WAC with an 8-13 mark and advanced to the WAC Tournament for just the second time. Those eight league wins were the most since 2002, and its fifth-place conference finish was its best since tying for fourth in the Big West Conference in 1996.
While at Utah State, Kalaba coached five players who earned all-WAC honors including infielder Christine Thomsen who earned first-team all-conference and second-team Easton All-America honors in 2012, marking just the ninth time in school history that a USU softball player has earned All-American honors. USU also had three players earn all-WAC honors in 2011, which were the most for the program in a single season since 2005.
In the classroom, USU had 22 players earn academic all-conference honors under Kalaba including catcher Shasta Tyteca, who garnered first-team academic all-district honors in 2011.
Doug Hoffman is the assistant athletic director for Utah State University Athletic Media Relations.
- Ranking the best running backs in BYU history
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team landed...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule...
- Former Ute center Dallin Bachynski impresses...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games ranked...
- Doug Robinson: Witt latest BYU runner chasing...
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's volleyball...
- Morning links: BYU's football schedule... 80
- Rock On: BYU finds another recruiting... 49
- Report: Former Jordan High quarterback... 48
- Dick Harmon: NCAA's move to speed up... 48
- Dick Harmon: How BYU football team... 23
- Morning links: BYU and Utah have games... 19
- Chris McGown resigns as BYU men's... 13
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12