UVU Sports Information
OREM, Utah - For the second consecutive year, Utah Valley University golfer Mason Casper has received an at-large bid to the NCAA Golf Championships. The announcement was made Monday night by the NCAA Golf Committee.
"It's a heck of an accomplishment and I couldn't be more proud of him," UVU men's golf coach Chris Curran said. "His hard work has paid off once again."
Casper, who tied for fifth at the America Sky Conference Championships last week and was named the conference player of the year for the second straight year, will compete the at the 54-hole regional hosted by Washington State University at Palouse Ridge Golf Club on May 16-18 in Pullman, Wash.
Sacramento State's Ryan Williams and Jordan Weir, Cal Davis' Tyler Raber and Boise State's Taeksoo Kim also received at-large bids.
The low five teams in each of the six regionals and the low individual not on those teams from each regional will advance to the finals, which will be held May 28-June 2, at The Capital City Club, Crabapple Course in Atlanta, Ga.
Casper is no stranger to Palouse Ridge. In 2011, he shot a 68 on the final day of the Palouse Collegiate Invitational to finish fourth.
Casper's fifth-place finish last week at the ASC Championships was his third top-10 of the season. He won the Boise State Dash Thomas Invitational in late August, and he tied for second at the COG Mizzou Intercollegiate in early April.
Last year at the NCAA regional held at Stanford Golf Course, Casper tied for 55th with a three-day total 8-over par.
Jay Hinton is a sports information assistant at Utah Valley University.
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- 11-year-old Salt Lake native once again...
- BYU notebook: Cougars commit a plethora of...
- Prep football: Kafentzis, 'Diggers dig out of...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 51
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 49
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48