SALT LAKE CITY — The Rev. Father Elias Koucos, rector of the Prophet Elias Greek Orthodox Church, is the new chairman of the Salt Lake Interfaith Roundtable for 2013-14.
The Rev. Koucos replaces Alan Bachman, who has chaired the area interfaith organization for the past several years and who will continue to work with the SLIR board as community outreach chair.
Joining the Rev. Koucos as board officers for the next two years is a team of SLIR veterans, including Josie Stone of the Episcopal Church as vice-chair, Wendy J. Stovall of the Unification Church as secretary and Indra Neelameggham of Utah’s Hindu community as treasurer.
The Rev. Koucos is one of SLIR’s founding fathers, having served as a member of the original Roundtable created in 1999 to oversee interfaith efforts during the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. Since that time he has served as a member of the Roundtable board and is also involved in interfaith outreach efforts with the Coalition of Religious Communities and at the University of Utah.
“Since the founding of the Salt Lake Interfaith Roundtable, we have experienced a steady growth in membership,” the Rev. Koucos said. “This has helped lead to an increasing recognition of the importance of interfaith work in Utah and around the country as we continue forward in this very vital and worthwhile mission of inclusion and unity.”
The Salt Lake Interfaith Roundtable regularly sponsors activities and programs aimed at enhancing interfaith respect, understanding and appreciation through dialogue and collaboration. It includes representatives from more than 50 different faith groups and religiously oriented organizations.
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- The pipes are calling: Salt Lake Methodist...
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union targeting pot
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man with men...
- South Africans hold day of prayer for Nelson...
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter of name...
- Disgraced priest to wed pope adviser's daughter
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 21
- Space and religion: How believers view... 18
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter... 7
- Disgraced priest to wed pope adviser's... 4
- Pope forms commission to advise on sex... 1
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union... 1
- New Harmony: Christian shrines to see... 1
- The pipes are calling: Salt Lake... 1