Book review: '100 Favorite Verses for Women' shares scriptural insights
Shauna Humphreys has published a new "favorites" book. This one is called, “100 Favorite Verses for Women.”
Like its predecessors, “100 Favorite Verses from the Book of Mormon” and “100 Favorite Verses to Bring You Closer to Christ,” it is a collection of scripture-based devotionals — this time directed especially to women.
In each two-page essay, the author shares a selected scripture and how it applies specifically to women. ”The Best Books,” “Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ,” “Hannah — Woman of Faith,” “Lucy Mack Smith — Mother in Israel,” and “A Gracious Woman” are among the titles of the essays.
Along with a selected scripture, each essay includes teachings from leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, poetry, hymn texts, other uplifting quotations and the author’s own thoughts on each topic
The hardcover book features an attractive leather-like red binding, gilt-edged pages and a ribbon bookmark. Each essay is numbered and referenced by that number in a table of contents. Small enough to easily carry in a handbag, the book would make a thoughtful Mother’s Day gift.
Humphreys, a member of the LDS Church, currently lives in Birch Bay, Wash., with her husband, Rick. She is a professional editor who has taught writing and composition courses at Brigham Young University and Utah Valley University.
More recently-released books about mothers
Rosemarie Howard lives in a 100-year-old house on Main Street, Springville. She enjoys creating multimedia projects. Her website is at dramaticdimensions.com.
- Women hired by LDS Church History Department...
- Larry King interviews Lindsey Stirling about...
- LDS missionary department leader: Zika has...
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- LDS Church donates additional $5 million to...
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- Elder Oaks to speak at Johns Hopkins on...
- LDS missionaries safe in Taiwan after earthquake
- Defending the Faith: Why the question... 38
- Obama at prayer breakfast: 'Jesus is a... 25
- Obama's take on 3 key debates about... 13
- Bernie Sanders disappoints some... 13
- Hamblin & Peterson: Buddhism and violence 7
- Women hired by LDS Church History... 5
- Wheaton provost apologizes to Larycia... 5
- 'Rich and fascinating': New online... 4