Rock On: Ziggy already knows how to self-market, Bronco fully invested and more
Jaren Wilkey/BYU, Jaren Wilkey/BYU
Apparently Ziggy Ansah is getting the hang of self-marketing.
After appearing at the NFL Draft in windowless 3D movie glasses, he received a letter from IMAX, applauding his fashion choice.
The letter went on say “we would love to celebrate your first year in the NFL with the opportunity to see all IMAX 3D movies on us for the next year.”
Rock On suggests the next time Ansah gets drafted he wear a Century 21 Real Estate jacket.
And people thought Ansah — who started just nine games at BYU — was a novice.
The 49ers signed Lawrence Okoye to a free agent contract last week, despite the fact he has never played football. The 6-foot-6, 304-pound Brit recorded a 35-inch vertical and 10-feet-5 broad jump at the combine.
Sources say the Niners’ didn’t get nervous until Okoye suggested he’d be most effective from the deep mid-wicket position.
Athletes often refer to themselves as “targets” when they’re winning.
In the case of Cincinnati Reds leadoff hitter Shin-Soo Choo, it’s something more. He was hit nine times by pitches in his first 17 games.
It’s unclear whether it was aggression in the box, his stance, or wild pitching that caused the flurry of HBPs.
But there’s no truth to the rumor he has a Bud Selig tattoo on his forearm.
Apparently the recession has even reached the University of Oregon.
Despite receiving millions in support from Nike founder Phil Knight, the school is still finding ways to nickel and dime people. An Internet report last month said the cheer squad charged $5 to watch its tryouts.
Rumored to be coming: a $7.50 fee to watch the marching band practice playing “Louie, Louie” for next year’s halftime.
Bronco Mendenhall is finally fully invested.
After years of shunning social media, the BYU coach has signed on to Twitter under the username @BYU_Football.
Among his recent subjects: a charity motorcycle ride and the possibility of wearing Ziggy-style 3D glasses on the sidelines next season. He said Twitter is a good way to promote the program, squelch false rumors and share insights.
Rock On has just two questions. First, is this really Mendenhall, or just an automated tweet? Second, would anyone know the difference?
A few hundred Jacksonville Jaguars fans have petitioned President Barack Obama to ask the team to sign Tim Tebow.
Rock On sources say if that works, the next step will be to get the President, by executive order, to force Tebow to throw spirals.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; Twitter: therockmonster; Facebook: therockmonster
- 2015 Heisman Trophy tracker, preseason...
- High school football roundup for Friday, Aug. 28
- The Utah football 100: Ranking the best...
- BYU football: With opener one week away,...
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU best-case,...
- BYU basketball: What we learned from 4 games...
- Video: BYU commit Jaren Hall lifts Maple...
- Dick Harmon: BYU workhorse running back Nate...
- Morning links: Cougars, Utes to face... 78
- Guest commentary: How to spice up BYU... 61
- BYU football: Lone Peak's Jackson... 31
- New York Jets waive former BYU... 30
- Dick Harmon: BYU Cougars find new... 28
- Morning links: Utes are the Pac-12's 'X... 27
- Guest commentary: BYU, Utah, USU... 25
- Doug Robinson: No days off on Utes'... 25