VERNAL — Police are investigating the death of a man who died three days after an officer used a Taser to subdue and arrest him.
On April 30, officers were called to the Sage Motel, 54 W. Main in Vernal, after someone reported that a pickup truck was being burglarized in the parking lot, according to Assistant Vernal Police Chief Keith Campbell.
The officers found Jayson Leon Carmickle in the motel parking lot. A witness identified Carmickle as the person who was breaking into the truck and officers attempted to arrest him, Campbell said.
"Verbal commands were issued to the suspect and he refused to comply," the assistant chief said. "Attempts to physically restrain the suspect resulted in his resisting arrest and in him assaulting officers."
One officer used a Taser to subdue Carmickle, who was arrested and taken to the Uintah County Jail. He continued to be combative, Campbell said, so he was placed in a holding cell.
"Within minutes, it was discovered that Carmickle was unresponsive," Campbell said.
An ambulance was called to the jail, and Carmickle, 28, was taken to Ashley Regional Medical Center. He was later flown by medical helicopter to University Hospital, where he died May 2.
Authorities are awaiting the results of an autopsy to determine the cause of Carmickle's death.
A check of state court records shows Carmickle has prior convictions for assault by a prisoner, propelling a substance or object at a corrections officer, DUI and damaging a jail. His most recent conviction was a March 12 guilty plea in 8th District Court to a misdemeanor theft charge.
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Cottonwood Heights mayor, residents unhappy...
- Sugar House streetcar prepares for public launch
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion budget
- Roof, tower for Provo City Center Temple add...
- Woman stole van, but returned after finding...
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 44
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 28
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 23
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- 'Little Bulldog' will take a break; the... 18
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18