Hockey playing Battaglia brothers win 'The Amazing Race' grand prize of $1 million

Published: Monday, May 6 2013 2:00 p.m. MDT

The teams traveled from Scotland to Belfast, Northern Ireland, via a ferry and then drove themselves to Peatlands Park, where a member of each team had to bog snorkel 100 feet in under four minutes at the Road Block. Then they had to drive to the “Thing with a Ring,” which was the Beacon of Hope statue, for their next clue. And then at the Detour, they either had to “Tray it” and serve a five-course meal from the last first class Titanic menu to a dinner set up in the dry dock where the ship was built or “Spray It” and finish graffiti art at an urban center with a photo for reference.

Kuhle struggled with the bog snorkeling and the other teams were at the “Tray It.”

At “Tray It,” they had to serve the courses to the right people in the right order. They received a seating chart with two selections — the second course soup and the dessert (where they learned what color chartreuse is) — but had to read the full menu for the other courses and the correct order. All of them initially missed the full menu, but it took Egender and Bandimere the longest to figure that out.

The Bichlers won that leg of the race and were just minutes ahead of the Battagila brothers to the mat at Ulster Hall. Cutbirth and Kuhle were eliminated.

The last leg of the race sent the teams to Washington, D.C., and their first clue led to the Lincoln Memorial, where they stood where Martin Luther King gave his “I Have a Dream Speech,” and then to 1100 Pennsylvania Ave. (the White House is at 1600) for a photo “with” the president at a photo/souvenir shop. Egender and Bandimere got lost on the way to 1100 Pennsylvania Avenue, and weren’t able to take the lead.

The teams, with the Bichlers in the lead, then went to the Tidal Basin for a Switchback, where they had to use a password to ferret out a particular secret agent among 50 who wandering along the pathways and make a briefcase switch. The agent then gave them a clue to opening the case — the order they finished in New Zealand, Indonesia and Vietnam. The Battagila brothers got their briefcase switch first and took the lead.

Next, they went to Nationals Park, where one soared above the field on a zip line and tossed a ball to their partner on the ground who was dressed in a baseball mascot costume. Once the partner on the ground successfully caught the dropped ball, it was one to Hains Point for the final challenge. There they found a tank filled with inflated beach balls resembling world globes, some with countries they had visited outlined. After finding te balls with the countries they visited during “The Amazing Race,” they had to put them in the correct order.

And then it was on to Mount Vernon.

"I honestly can't talk right now, I'm so nervous that we're not going to the right place," Bates Battagila said in the taxi on the way to Mount Vernon. "The rest of my hair may fall out and it may turn gray in the next five minutes."

Overall, they were strong competitors who encouraged each other throughout the 21-day Race.

"This might haunt us if we're in the wrong spot," Anthony said. Bates added "Oh, it would be the worst."

However, they were in the right spot.

Email: rappleye@desnews.com Twitter: CTRappleye

Try out the new DeseretNews.com design!
try beta learn more
Get The Deseret News Everywhere