MOAB — A Salt Lake man died Sunday during a rappelling/rope swing accident.
Adam Jason Weber, 32, was killed after a 7:11 p.m. accident involving a rope swing combined with rappelling, according to the Grand County Sheriff's Office.
Weber and a woman were engaged in a tandem rope swing that included a rappel to the floor of Day Canyon after completion of the swing. Day Canyon is about seven miles west of state Route 191 and the Gemini Bridge Parking area.
As the man went to rappel down, he took his feet out of his stirrups and fell about 200 feet, said Grand County Chief Sheriff’s Deputy Darrel Mecham. The woman was still clipped on the swing, and crews were able to get her down, while another crew in a helicopter went to the bottom of the canyon to locate her companion.
The sheriff's office said the distance of the rappel to the canyon floor after the swing was approximately 100 feet, and the rope swing had been anchored to a metal airline cable. That cable had been anchored between the canyon walls, with a span that was approximately 600 feet.
It took several days to put the equipment into place, and several people had successfully completed the rappel and the rope swing prior to Weber's fall.
Multiple agencies responded to the scene, but Weber succumbed to his injuries.
The sheriff's office advises recreationers that this is the third fatality the agency has investigated this year involving rope swings or rappelling and urges people to use extreme care and caution.
Email: email@example.com, Twitter: amyjoi16
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Snow wreaks havoc across state, curbs travel...
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists overnight...
- Police officer suicide needs to be addressed,...
- John Swallow lost computer hard drive on...
- Charges: Magna mom got 13-year-old son drunk
- Flu season off and running in Utah; H1N1...
- 'Deseret News Sunday Edition' looks at Sharia...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 114
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 60
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 44
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 28
- As winter takes hold, needs increase... 27
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 26
- Gov. Gary Herbert unveils $13.3 billion... 18
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday... 16