MOAB — A Salt Lake man died Sunday during a rappelling/rope swing accident.
Adam Jason Weber, 32, was killed after a 7:11 p.m. accident involving a rope swing combined with rappelling, according to the Grand County Sheriff's Office.
Weber and a woman were engaged in a tandem rope swing that included a rappel to the floor of Day Canyon after completion of the swing. Day Canyon is about seven miles west of state Route 191 and the Gemini Bridge Parking area.
As the man went to rappel down, he took his feet out of his stirrups and fell about 200 feet, said Grand County Chief Sheriff’s Deputy Darrel Mecham. The woman was still clipped on the swing, and crews were able to get her down, while another crew in a helicopter went to the bottom of the canyon to locate her companion.
The sheriff's office said the distance of the rappel to the canyon floor after the swing was approximately 100 feet, and the rope swing had been anchored to a metal airline cable. That cable had been anchored between the canyon walls, with a span that was approximately 600 feet.
It took several days to put the equipment into place, and several people had successfully completed the rappel and the rope swing prior to Weber's fall.
Multiple agencies responded to the scene, but Weber succumbed to his injuries.
The sheriff's office advises recreationers that this is the third fatality the agency has investigated this year involving rope swings or rappelling and urges people to use extreme care and caution.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: amyjoi16
- Summer downpour causes flooding, slides...
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court...
- Utah leads the nation in deadly melanoma cases
- Project to restore Manti Tabernacle underway
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Video of school bus driver shows 'bizarre'...
- Cartel presence in Utah 'exploding' with...
- Settlement in dog shooting case reached, then...
- Republican, Democratic political... 37
- Ex-federal judge says West Valley... 25
- Owens' pollster says new poll shows... 22
- Drunken driver goes airborne, crashes... 21
- Swallow, Shurtleff make first court... 20
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 19
- Critics decry solar fee as 'sun' tax 17
- Long road to trial begins Wednesday for... 13