GRAND COUNTY — A man is dead after falling into a canyon while rope climbing in Grand County Sunday. Chief Sheriff’s Deputy Darrel Mecham of the Grand County Sheriff's Office confirmed Sunday that though the man was alive when rescue crews reached him, he succumbed to his injuries.
Neither the identity of the man nor the companion he was climbing with were released. Rescue crews were able to assist his companion, a woman, who was not injured.
Authorities said the man and a woman were attempting to swing from one side of the canyon to the other, and had planned to rappel down the other side.
Mecham said that as the man went to rappel down, he took his feet out of his stirrups and fell about 200 feet. The call came in around 7:30 p.m. Crews worked to find the man in an area south of Day Canyon.
The woman was still clipped on the swing, and crews were able to get her down, while another crew in a helicopter went to the bottom of the canyon to locate her companion.
E-mail: email@example.com, Twitter: JasenLee1
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- About Utah: A Salt Lake hit for 152 years ......
- Crews rescue two hikers on Mount Timpanogos
- Doug Robinson: The Birdman of Utah
- Duchesne County man pleads guilty to federal...
- Man stole ring, woman swallowed it, police say
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 31
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- Gov.: Elected officials need to serve... 10
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 10
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Missionary, police testify against man... 8