GRAND COUNTY — A man is dead after falling into a canyon while rope climbing in Grand County Sunday. Chief Sheriff’s Deputy Darrel Mecham of the Grand County Sheriff's Office confirmed Sunday that though the man was alive when rescue crews reached him, he succumbed to his injuries.
Neither the identity of the man nor the companion he was climbing with were released. Rescue crews were able to assist his companion, a woman, who was not injured.
Authorities said the man and a woman were attempting to swing from one side of the canyon to the other, and had planned to rappel down the other side.
Mecham said that as the man went to rappel down, he took his feet out of his stirrups and fell about 200 feet. The call came in around 7:30 p.m. Crews worked to find the man in an area south of Day Canyon.
The woman was still clipped on the swing, and crews were able to get her down, while another crew in a helicopter went to the bottom of the canyon to locate her companion.
E-mail: email@example.com, Twitter: JasenLee1
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Watch out for Utah Highway Patrol 'slow-down'...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- A World War II veteran's story: 'I had...
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to live
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 159
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 78
- Police release names of officers... 37
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 34
- Protest ride results in charges against... 20
- Utah facing affordable housing crisis,... 18
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 18
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 17