GRAND COUNTY — A man is dead after falling into a canyon while rope climbing in Grand County Sunday. Chief Sheriff’s Deputy Darrel Mecham of the Grand County Sheriff's Office confirmed Sunday that though the man was alive when rescue crews reached him, he succumbed to his injuries.
Neither the identity of the man nor the companion he was climbing with were released. Rescue crews were able to assist his companion, a woman, who was not injured.
Authorities said the man and a woman were attempting to swing from one side of the canyon to the other, and had planned to rappel down the other side.
Mecham said that as the man went to rappel down, he took his feet out of his stirrups and fell about 200 feet. The call came in around 7:30 p.m. Crews worked to find the man in an area south of Day Canyon.
The woman was still clipped on the swing, and crews were able to get her down, while another crew in a helicopter went to the bottom of the canyon to locate her companion.
E-mail: email@example.com, Twitter: JasenLee1
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Man accused of killing UTA worker dies in prison
- Women underrepresented across Utah's...
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument meeting...
- 7 tips for summer travel while pregnant
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer for...
- Police: ICU evacuated after man barricades...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 94
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 28
- Mike Lee, US Senate to hold monument... 9
- LDS Church asks court to void subpoena... 9
- Women underrepresented across Utah's... 8
- Brother, sister hugged each other as... 8
- Prosecutors say Jeremy Johnson should... 7