GRAND COUNTY — A man is dead after falling into a canyon while rope climbing in Grand County Sunday. Chief Sheriff’s Deputy Darrel Mecham of the Grand County Sheriff's Office confirmed Sunday that though the man was alive when rescue crews reached him, he succumbed to his injuries.
Neither the identity of the man nor the companion he was climbing with were released. Rescue crews were able to assist his companion, a woman, who was not injured.
Authorities said the man and a woman were attempting to swing from one side of the canyon to the other, and had planned to rappel down the other side.
Mecham said that as the man went to rappel down, he took his feet out of his stirrups and fell about 200 feet. The call came in around 7:30 p.m. Crews worked to find the man in an area south of Day Canyon.
The woman was still clipped on the swing, and crews were able to get her down, while another crew in a helicopter went to the bottom of the canyon to locate her companion.
E-mail: email@example.com, Twitter: JasenLee1
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Could elephants' 'superhero' cancer guardian...
- Couple charged with stealing Hondas from TRAX...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 67
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- LDS Church leaders continue to... 17
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15