"In the past two weeks or so since I started this, there was an epiphany of, why don't I just share more?" Mendenhall explained. "Then I have the ability to squelch a rumor if it's not true. If word gets back to me that something is circulating out there, there's a chance to clarify points that aren't understood that well. It also gives me a chance to share some insight and fun things with the fan base and Cougar Nation that provide them with a unique glimpse into maybe what they wouldn't see with traditional sources. It just seemed appropriate now after eight years to take ownership of the messaging, not only for me personally, and for Holly (Mendenhall's wife) and my family, but for the program."
Don't count on Mendenhall tweeting about what he ate for dinner last night.
"I don't really intend for it to be a personal, day-to-day 'this is what's happening.' But when there are significant events that warrant explanation or inclusion of people seeing it that might enjoy it, or might be searching for more clarification on an issue, I think those are the times," Mendenhall said. "The things I've shared so far are pretty good examples of that. I'm still learning how to type. I'm misspelling things and my thumbs are hitting each other. I don't see it as what's happening with me, but key moments in the program."
On the day of the NFL draft, Mendenhall shared this: "In New York and thrilled for Ziggy's future! He just told me he is nervous as Heck!"
"(Draft night) was a great example of being able to (use Twitter) I shared a message that Ziggy had texted me telling me that he was nervous as heck. I just kind of laughed out loud," Mendenhall said. "For anyone who knows him, he's getting ready to be a first-round draft pick and he's texting his coach that he's nervous as heck. It just made me smile because it was reflective of him and the program. But also one that most people wouldn't have access to. I think those are kind of insights that might be fun to share."
- Massive crowd engulfs Cleveland, champion...
- Chile beats Colombia 2-0 to return to Copa...
- Ben Simmons, Brandon Ingram and intrigue...
- 24-team Euro 2016 a wacky success
- Nevada gambling regulators to weigh new...
- Carmelo Anthony among 10 set for US Olympic...
- Jazz snubbed: Agents block players from...
- AP Source: Pacers acquire Thad Young from Nets
- Never on Sunday: BYU won't compete on... 128
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 51
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 29
- Morning Links: BYU basketball fans... 24
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 19
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 15
- Dick Harmon: While away from BYU, Tejan... 15
- Sitake making transition from longtime... 15