LOS ANGELES — A four-game Cougar winning streak was snapped by Loyola Marymount’s 2-1 victory Saturday over BYU.
David Edwards two-run homer in the sixth inning was the offensive difference in the game for LMU to improve the Lions to 22-25 overall and 10-11 in the West Coast Conference. Missed opportunities came back to haunt BYU, now 24-18 and 10-8.
“Adam Miller pitched good enough to win,” BYU coach Mike Littlewood said.”Three times you got to figure we are going to get a run with a runner on third. The percentages are high with less than two outs, but we just couldn’t do it.”
Those three times came in the second, fourth and sixth innings.
With Lions on the corners with no outs in the third inning, Cougar first baseman Brock Whitney turned a double play on a great defensive play, taking the force at first before throwing home for the second out.
LMU was saved by a 4-6-3 double play ending the fourth inning. That play came with Brugman on third again after stealing second base prior to Kelton Caldwell’s single.
BYU took a 1-0 lead when Dakota Hernandez led off the fifth inning with triple deep in the right field corner and scored off Hayden Nielsen’s single up the middle. Nielsen gambled, leaving first early on Brennon Anderson’s fly out to right field, and got doubled up to end that inning.
In the sixth, Adam Law led off with a single and LMU felt the pressure, intentionally walking Caldwell with two outs. Lopez got aboard via an error to load the bases to no avail.
“It was the simple stuff we work on every day,” Littlewood said. “All of a sudden nobody could put a bunt down; it’s frustrating. Lack of execution on our part was probably the most disappointing thing. It’s something we take pride in doing, but we weren’t able to get it done today.”
Next up for BYU is the Deseret Duel round three against Utah on Tuesday in Salt Lake City at 6 p.m. MT, aired live by KOVO Radio 960 AM and over links on BYU's athletic website.
Ralph R. Zobell has worked for BYU Athletic Media Relations in various capacities for over 30 years. You can view his bio at http://byucougars.com/staff/athletics/ralph-zobell or contact him at email@example.com.
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- Peavler: BYU's recent basketball struggles...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start employing...
- BYU's prolific offense undermined by poor...
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make...
- BYU coach Dave Rose competing in coaches'...
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 41
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 35
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 32
- Peavler: BYU's recent basketball... 17
- Doug Robinson: 'In Football We Trust'... 14
- BYU basketball analysis: Why the... 12
- Dick Harmon: BYU hoops should start... 8