High school track: Park City's Ben Saarel shatters 3,200 state record at BYU Invite
PROVO — Park City’s Ben Saarel continued his magical season at the BYU Invitational on Friday.
The senior shattered the state record in the 3,200 meters with a blistering time of 8:49.08 at Clarence Robison Stadium, breaking the previous state record of 8:54.40, set by Judge’s Luke Puskedra back in 2008.
Saarel ran an 8:45.74 at the Arcadia Invitational in California earlier this season, the best time in the nation by a high school runner since 2011, but Utah state records only count if they’re recorded at UHSAA-sanctioned meets in Utah.
Saarel’s split times were 4:28 over the first 1,600 and 4:21 over the second 1,600.
Timpanogos’ Jacob Heslington finished second with a time of 9:07.31.
Saarel has visions of breaking the state record in the 800 and 1,600 before his high school career wraps up in a couple of weeks, but he’ll only run the 800 in Day 2 of the BYU Invitational on Saturday.
Ogden’s Sarah Feeny won the girls 3,200 on Friday with a time of 10:35.68, the best mark in Utah this season. Bingham’s Emily Rich finished second in 10:42.09.
Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer.
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big 12...
- Poll: Many Brazilians think Olympic Games...
- AP source: ACC, ESPN to launch ACC Network in...
- BYU and the Big 12: A timeline of events
- NCAA: No. 1 overall seed to choose tourney...
- IOC explores legal options on banning all...
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Tom Holmoe says BYU 'excited' that Big... 126
- Brad Rock: What BYU needs to nail down... 105
- Morning links: National college... 72
- Nine Big 12 candidates: The pros and cons 68
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 57
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 52
- Big 12 Media Days social roundup:... 49
- Annual instate college basketball... 37