High school track: Park City's Ben Saarel shatters 3,200 state record at BYU Invite
PROVO — Park City’s Ben Saarel continued his magical season at the BYU Invitational on Friday.
The senior shattered the state record in the 3,200 meters with a blistering time of 8:49.08 at Clarence Robison Stadium, breaking the previous state record of 8:54.40, set by Judge’s Luke Puskedra back in 2008.
Saarel ran an 8:45.74 at the Arcadia Invitational in California earlier this season, the best time in the nation by a high school runner since 2011, but Utah state records only count if they’re recorded at UHSAA-sanctioned meets in Utah.
Saarel’s split times were 4:28 over the first 1,600 and 4:21 over the second 1,600.
Timpanogos’ Jacob Heslington finished second with a time of 9:07.31.
Saarel has visions of breaking the state record in the 800 and 1,600 before his high school career wraps up in a couple of weeks, but he’ll only run the 800 in Day 2 of the BYU Invitational on Saturday.
Ogden’s Sarah Feeny won the girls 3,200 on Friday with a time of 10:35.68, the best mark in Utah this season. Bingham’s Emily Rich finished second in 10:42.09.
Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer.
- Mangum 'humbled' to be BYU's quarterback,...
- Utah high school boys basketball previews:...
- BYU's Rose adjusts lineup — freshman...
- Former Ute Delon Wright, former Cougar Jimmer...
- How did they fare? Locals in the NFL roundup...
- Rock On: A bad day gets worse for Whittingham
- Davis High named top girls soccer team in the...
- Doug Robinson: It's the same old sad story of...
- 13th-ranked Utes go south, drop pivotal... 128
- BYU expecting a 'dogfight' in Logan... 55
- Brad Rock: Utah Utes disappoint but not... 52
- Utes fall to No. 23 in playoff... 47
- College football: Utes hanging on in... 45
- Morning links: Beehive State coaches on... 39
- Utes lost more than just a game on... 38
- Live updates: No. 13 Utah takes on UCLA... 35