High school track: Park City's Ben Saarel shatters 3,200 state record at BYU Invite
PROVO — Park City’s Ben Saarel continued his magical season at the BYU Invitational on Friday.
The senior shattered the state record in the 3,200 meters with a blistering time of 8:49.08 at Clarence Robison Stadium, breaking the previous state record of 8:54.40, set by Judge’s Luke Puskedra back in 2008.
Saarel ran an 8:45.74 at the Arcadia Invitational in California earlier this season, the best time in the nation by a high school runner since 2011, but Utah state records only count if they’re recorded at UHSAA-sanctioned meets in Utah.
Saarel’s split times were 4:28 over the first 1,600 and 4:21 over the second 1,600.
Timpanogos’ Jacob Heslington finished second with a time of 9:07.31.
Saarel has visions of breaking the state record in the 800 and 1,600 before his high school career wraps up in a couple of weeks, but he’ll only run the 800 in Day 2 of the BYU Invitational on Saturday.
Ogden’s Sarah Feeny won the girls 3,200 on Friday with a time of 10:35.68, the best mark in Utah this season. Bingham’s Emily Rich finished second in 10:42.09.
Deseret News prep editor and Real Salt Lake beat writer.
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave Rose's...
- Utah Jazz: Analyzing 3 trade possibilities as...
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants...
- Morning links: Kyle Van Noy, Eric Weddle...
- Empey evaluates BYU's O-line; recruit Haws to...
- BYU's Fischer questionable for game at San...
- BYU football hires former player Jack Damuni...
- 13 locals invited to 2016 NFL Scouting Combine
- Morning links: BYU, Virginia fans share... 44
- Doug Robinson: Peyton Manning sells out... 43
- Dick Harmon: Time running out for Dave... 42
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Sitake wants former... 40
- Nick Emery's freshman season at BYU... 39
- Dick Harmon: BYU's Harvey Unga to... 33
- Rise and Shout: "Jeopardy!" contestants... 32
- Utah football: Delshawn McClellon... 26