Florida man jailed for taking son from Salt Lake City hospital
SALT LAKE CITY — A Florida man is in jail after police say he endangered his 4-year-old son by taking him from Primary Children's Medical Center on Friday.
Marqueal Lamont Sandy, 28, was booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of child endangerment.
Sandy took his son for a walk about 8:30 a.m., but when hospital personnel needed to give the child medication at 9:30 a.m., they realized he had been taken from the hospital, according to a probable cause statement.
The boy was being treated for renal failure in both kidneys and still needed to have his blood drawn and additional medication. He still had an IV in his wrist when he was taken, court documents state.
The father and son were located two hours later at Salt Lake City International Airport, where they were taken in to custody and transported back to the hospital, court documents state.
Hospital staff reported the child's treatment has been set back two or three days because his treatment was interrupted, according to court documents.
The child and his mother moved to Utah from Florida in October. Sandy was in Salt Lake City to visit his son at the hospital, police said.
— McKenzie Romero
- Lehi toddler killed in accident remembered as...
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- A river runs dry: Water and the future of...
- Cyclist killed on training run after...
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more in wake...
- American Fork cyclist killed during training...
- Boy, 3, killed in Lehi scooter accident
- President Obama to make first trip to... 114
- Obama expected to stay overnight in... 59
- Sen. Harry Reid's retirement recalls... 42
- Utah taxpayers will pay millions more... 42
- School leaders look for solutions to... 26
- Cyclist killed on training run after... 23
- A river runs dry: Water and the future... 16
- San Diego woman wins damages against... 16