Florida man jailed for taking son from Salt Lake City hospital
SALT LAKE CITY — A Florida man is in jail after police say he endangered his 4-year-old son by taking him from Primary Children's Medical Center on Friday.
Marqueal Lamont Sandy, 28, was booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of child endangerment.
Sandy took his son for a walk about 8:30 a.m., but when hospital personnel needed to give the child medication at 9:30 a.m., they realized he had been taken from the hospital, according to a probable cause statement.
The boy was being treated for renal failure in both kidneys and still needed to have his blood drawn and additional medication. He still had an IV in his wrist when he was taken, court documents state.
The father and son were located two hours later at Salt Lake City International Airport, where they were taken in to custody and transported back to the hospital, court documents state.
Hospital staff reported the child's treatment has been set back two or three days because his treatment was interrupted, according to court documents.
The child and his mother moved to Utah from Florida in October. Sandy was in Salt Lake City to visit his son at the hospital, police said.
— McKenzie Romero
- Funeral services for President Boyd K. Packer...
- Photo gallery: Journey headlines 35th Stadium...
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of...
- Should Meagan Grunwald get life without parole?
- Doug Robinson: Utah's Glen Hanson has had an...
- Photos: A photographic look at President Boyd...
- Minor earthquake shakes southern Utah town
- President Packer's enduring legacy includes...
- LDS Church donates to Utah Pride... 64
- My view: Move the prison for the sake... 42
- President Boyd K. Packer, champion of... 39
- Former Provo High teacher pleads guilty... 24
- Utah senators seeking support for... 16
- My view: Utah lawmakers can protect... 13
- Pig-shaped hot air balloon crashes in... 12
- Rubio, Christie planning sleepover with... 12