Florida man jailed for taking son from Salt Lake City hospital
SALT LAKE CITY — A Florida man is in jail after police say he endangered his 4-year-old son by taking him from Primary Children's Medical Center on Friday.
Marqueal Lamont Sandy, 28, was booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of child endangerment.
Sandy took his son for a walk about 8:30 a.m., but when hospital personnel needed to give the child medication at 9:30 a.m., they realized he had been taken from the hospital, according to a probable cause statement.
The boy was being treated for renal failure in both kidneys and still needed to have his blood drawn and additional medication. He still had an IV in his wrist when he was taken, court documents state.
The father and son were located two hours later at Salt Lake City International Airport, where they were taken in to custody and transported back to the hospital, court documents state.
Hospital staff reported the child's treatment has been set back two or three days because his treatment was interrupted, according to court documents.
The child and his mother moved to Utah from Florida in October. Sandy was in Salt Lake City to visit his son at the hospital, police said.
— McKenzie Romero
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- North Ogden woman sent to prison in...
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic student...
- Fallen hiker had passion for the outdoors,...
- Tips lead police to arrest of public enemy No. 1
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year
- Provo company creates program that filters...
- West Jordan, Murray residents search for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 56
- Vernal man claims police arrested him... 37
- Utah argues for more time to file... 33
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 27
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- End of an era: Huntsville bookshop... 22
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22