Florida man jailed for taking son from Salt Lake City hospital
SALT LAKE CITY — A Florida man is in jail after police say he endangered his 4-year-old son by taking him from Primary Children's Medical Center on Friday.
Marqueal Lamont Sandy, 28, was booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of child endangerment.
Sandy took his son for a walk about 8:30 a.m., but when hospital personnel needed to give the child medication at 9:30 a.m., they realized he had been taken from the hospital, according to a probable cause statement.
The boy was being treated for renal failure in both kidneys and still needed to have his blood drawn and additional medication. He still had an IV in his wrist when he was taken, court documents state.
The father and son were located two hours later at Salt Lake City International Airport, where they were taken in to custody and transported back to the hospital, court documents state.
Hospital staff reported the child's treatment has been set back two or three days because his treatment was interrupted, according to court documents.
The child and his mother moved to Utah from Florida in October. Sandy was in Salt Lake City to visit his son at the hospital, police said.
— McKenzie Romero
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- Driver in DUI crash that maimed 11-year-old...
- Got an emergency? You can now text 911 in 3...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 28
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Report: Communication breakdowns... 10
- About Utah: Selling bikes the... 7