Florida man jailed for taking son from Salt Lake City hospital
SALT LAKE CITY — A Florida man is in jail after police say he endangered his 4-year-old son by taking him from Primary Children's Medical Center on Friday.
Marqueal Lamont Sandy, 28, was booked into Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of child endangerment.
Sandy took his son for a walk about 8:30 a.m., but when hospital personnel needed to give the child medication at 9:30 a.m., they realized he had been taken from the hospital, according to a probable cause statement.
The boy was being treated for renal failure in both kidneys and still needed to have his blood drawn and additional medication. He still had an IV in his wrist when he was taken, court documents state.
The father and son were located two hours later at Salt Lake City International Airport, where they were taken in to custody and transported back to the hospital, court documents state.
Hospital staff reported the child's treatment has been set back two or three days because his treatment was interrupted, according to court documents.
The child and his mother moved to Utah from Florida in October. Sandy was in Salt Lake City to visit his son at the hospital, police said.
— McKenzie Romero
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- Author, activist speaks at Theodore Roosevelt...
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- 7 habits of mentally strong people
- 'Catastrophic' arson fire destroys 10 Tooele...
- West Valley man killed in motorcycle crash...
- Applications being taken for justice court...
- UDOT resurfacing 12300 South in Draper
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 32
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 16
- Utah Democrats headed to 'historic'... 16
- Can police-community relations be... 14